Powerlogger Review Please

Phoenix_400

Hi folks,

I'm trying to help a friend get their car straigtened out. I've got some experience with tuning and have been following the advice of some of the board vendors. We just put the car on a dyno and got a good run with the powerlogger. I was wondering if anybody could look over the file and see what its doing? The car was recently purchased and has 55k original miles on it. We want to make sure everything is sound before we start making mods.

Mod's currently on car:
Stock engine, turbo, injectors
port and polished heads
D/S header
full free flow exhaust
adjustable wastegate
Walbro
FPR
intake
chip
scanmaster
powerlogger

We don't know what type of chip it is but the sticker on it reads:
93-28#
850-170*
4up-5700 (smudged, at least thats what it looks like)

Boost currently set at 15lbs. Fuel pressure at 43psi, vacuum line off. Fuel builds solid to 58lbs under boost, but at idle with the vacuum line on reads 32-33lbs.

Any help or suggestions we could get would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Couldn't upload file as .dat, had to compress it.

Attachments

• 01-04-09-dyno-2500-to-5500.zip
    26 KB · Views: 92
Hook up to the MAP to read boost and get a 3 bar MAP.
New Page 3
How are you reading the 15lbs of boost? I hope not the dash gauge, that's a big joke. IMHO I think your boosting much higher than 15lbs causing the stock injectors to go static and causing lots of lean knock. 16 counts of knock is certain death and you don't want to see 138% duty cycle.
Maybe some knows more about the chip.

Alright, got back with my friend's who did some research. Chip seems to be an old Thrasher chip.

We T-ed off a vacuum line near the turbo, coming off the turbo housing, and used the dyno to read boost. The dyno actually only read 13.3lbs, but the fuel pressure built up 15lbs from the initial setting. That's why I was assuming 15lbs. 1lbs of fuel pressure for every lbs of boost, right? I hope

Dyno was a Mustang model 1100AWD

Turbo Tweak chips have come a l-o-n-g way from the old Thrashers. They are adjustable and the new ones can be tied into a wb O2 sensor for controling the fueling, might want to look into that and a wb. You can also log the wb with the Powerlogger as well.
Ya, 1:1 fuel pressure rise with boost, that's good.

We've actually got a FAST XFI setup for it as we are going to start making heavy mods to it and are more familiar with that style setup versus the usual chips.

Main reason for current testing is to find any serious issues that need to be addressed before we install the fast and begin modification.

from what i see, the injectors are way to small 150% injector duty cycle :eek: MAF isnt maxing out, TPS is set to low at idel and WOT, knock retard 16.8 :eek:.

from what i see, the injectors are way to small 150% injector duty cycle :eek: MAF isnt maxing out, TPS is set to low at idel and WOT, knock retard 16.8 :eek:.

See, that's my problem with this thing. With the amount of mods we have, we SHOULDN'T be seeing this. It's stock turbo, stock injectors, no alcky, and 93oct. I know the chip isn't that good compared to a newer TT or anything, but we still shouldn't be seeing this. We found a couple of small holes in the MAF pipe, we've taped it up real good before the run and are waiting for a new hardpipe to come in. I don't see that affecting us THIS much.

I'm new to these cars, but I'm not new to tuning and older hot rods. I KNOW we have an issue here. I just don't know how to resolve it. Any ideas would help at this point. I'll check up on the TPS thing. We also hear a very slight rattle under hood on occasion, seems like exhaust. I need to get under it when its cold and make sure everything's bolted down solid.

We've got good pressure all the way up to the fuel rail, is it possible the injectors are crapping out? Could we be getting possible false knock readings from a loose crossover pipe or such? Still doesn't explain the injector duty cycle problem.

Car runs like a scalded dog and there's no audible pinging. I don't know if that means anything on these though. I'm used to carbed v8's where you could get away with audible ping for a short while if you're careful. Of course then I had a 3rd gen Rx7 where one audible ping meant you'd already blown the motor.

My $.02..

"Main reason for current testing is to find any serious issues that need to be addressed before we install the fast and begin modification."

IMO, you can make a "health checkup" without worrying about the tune, and WFO performance.
1. Leakdown test.
2. Compression test.
3. "Spring cleaning".
4. Valve springs.
5. Timing chain.
These checks, once completed, will be a pretty good indicator of the "health" of the engine.
Then,install the XFI,and make a choice of turbo, injs, exhaust, etc.
[Assuming the checkup is good to go]
At this point, the performance becomes relevant.

And, when purchasing parts, don't forget an engine hoist!!:eek: :D