Powermaster brakes diagnostic information

scott2004ss

Oct 14, 2008
Cleveland, OH
I am also having a brake problem. I was driving one day for about 45 minutes when the brake pedal was extremely hard. It took me about 30 minutes to get back home, but 10 minutes into that drive home the brakes felt fine again. A few day later I took the car out again and stayed close to home in order to test the brakes. After about 15-20 minutes, the brake pedal was hard again and this time the brake light went on. I did some research on this site to try to determine the problem. A few days later, when I got back into the car, the brake pedal was fine. I ran through all the diagnostic tests listed here and passed them all. I then proceeded to take another test drive, and the same thing happened. The brakes were fine for about 15-20 minutes, and then the pedal got hard again. It seems like if the car sits for a day or two the brakes are okay for a short period of time, but I cannot determine the problem based on the tests. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

TurboBuRick

Staff member
Feb 18, 2006
South subs. of Chicago
I am also having a brake problem. I was driving one day for about 45 minutes when the brake pedal was extremely hard. It took me about 30 minutes to get back home, but 10 minutes into that drive home the brakes felt fine again. A few day later I took the car out again and stayed close to home in order to test the brakes. After about 15-20 minutes, the brake pedal was hard again and this time the brake light went on. I did some research on this site to try to determine the problem. A few days later, when I got back into the car, the brake pedal was fine. I ran through all the diagnostic tests listed here and passed them all. I then proceeded to take another test drive, and the same thing happened. The brakes were fine for about 15-20 minutes, and then the pedal got hard again. It seems like if the car sits for a day or two the brakes are okay for a short period of time, but I cannot determine the problem based on the tests. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Sounds like a possible bad switch or the motor itself.

I would try and reproduce the problem KOEO. Use a battery charger to keep the juice up. Cycle the brakes and listen for the pump to come on. If the pedal gets hard and the pump fails to start, you found the problem. Well sort of.

jb87

Aug 24, 2015
new to forum time to meet some friends have 87gn replaced power master system some time work sometime no when not working i unplug the pressure switch tap a few times works again but later stops again can any one help would hate to replace new unit

bluehair

Apr 22, 2005
kentucky
Visit site
my system was working fine. but motor started puking fluid from internally....so motor was on its way out. I caught it in time.
I just need a power master motor. and wow there hard to find. does anyone carry just the motor? or anyone rebuild it? or sell reman ones? everywhere I have looked, kirbans, gbody, etc... just has the complete system they will sell you. I just need a motor.....
anyone have a good one laying around you wanna sell? :)

robzombie

my system was working fine. but motor started puking fluid from internally....so motor was on its way out. I caught it in time.
I just need a power master motor. and wow there hard to find. does anyone carry just the motor? or anyone rebuild it? or sell reman ones? everywhere I have looked, kirbans, gbody, etc... just has the complete system they will sell you. I just need a motor.....
If you post that in the parts wanted section you may get a quicker response.

TexasT

Texas, Where are you from
Sep 10, 2002
Texas
ihadav8.com
not mine. also not cheap.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-1987-Buick-Powermaster-Pump-Motor-NOS-Regal-Grand-National-T-Type/182173235109?hash=item2a6a5ef7a5:g:95oAAOSwHPlWfAR6&vxp=mtr

Not sure why you want to throw money at a system that has proven itself unreliable. Do yourself and your pocket book a favor and swap to a vac or hydroboost setup. Your front sheet metal and parts will thank you.

Top Bottom