Powermaster brakes diagnostic information

Not sure of your location because there's nothing in your profile, but please take the advice that I think was put forth earlier in this thread: Try to find a knowledgable Turbo Buick owner near your location and get help from them.

Not sure of your location because there's nothing in your profile, but please take the advice that I think was put forth earlier in this thread: Try to find a knowledgable Turbo Buick owner near your location and get help from them.
I am located in Shenandoah Virginia

Why are you letting a mechanic replace the master cylinder when we're not even sure there's a problem with it????? Is this mechanic able to properly diagnose a Powermaster system??? Does your mechanic have the special tool he needs to properly diagnose a Powermaster. It's a special device that screws into the top of the master cylinder to monitor pressures. Does he have it???? If not, don't let him touch your system again.
I am very happy with my mechanic and if he isn't sure about something he does let me know.

I am very happy with my mechanic and if he isn't sure about something he does let me know.
OK, but the fact that he thinks the whole unit needs to be replace not actually knowing the problem is what scares us.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

OK, but the fact that he thinks the whole unit needs to be replace not actually knowing the problem is what scares us.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app
That was just the next step if the new master cyclinder didn't work.Spoke with him this morning and gave him your info and pics.He is gonna do this procedure first.He was really glad that I got some pics.He said pictures are worth 1000 words.He got the brakes bled he just was on edge about fluid running out the resevior.He is gonna do the motor thing first before the master cyclinder.I think I made the mistake a while back of over filling it (doing like a vaccum system.Had no clue.:( )and I won't do that again.Just like to keep a eye on anything I own.How often do you have to do this once a year or so?

Turbo Dave Just wanted to say thanks so much for all your help. But the dang thing keeps blowing the fuse.The motor will run once you put a fuse in but it will not work everytime you turn the key on the brake light comes on and I loose a little fluid and brakes. I think I'm gonna try the vaccum conversion kit that bolts to all the same as the powermaster(no changes whatsoever) that way if I wanta go back to this system if I decide to soup my motor a little the vacum would not be a good option.Thanks again Dave for the time you spent getting all the info to me.Your a great person. :)

Good luck in whatever direction you decide to go. Wish I were closer, I'd bet it's an easy fix.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD using Tapatalk 2. now Free

Good luck in whatever direction you decide to go. Wish I were closer, I'd bet it's an easy fix.

Hey Dave I been thinking.I have a leak when it sits in my driveway (haven't been running it but to work and back after I put a fuse in)and I'm not sure if it's from the resevior or just some excess from the start of this but before I purchase a vaccum system I am gonna Gunk this thing off and dry it myself and look for wet spots on all the hoses and resevior.I kinda fell it is those 2 rubbers on my resevior.I had some work done on it a few weks ago and those guys were leaning on it pretty bad I think they may have broke my seals cause I really didn't have any probs with it till they worked on it and it took a little while for the system to realize it was leaking.That's what I think.I hope that's it and I can just replace seals I really don't wanta replace if thats all it is. But thanks so much for all the help you gave me and I will keep your procedure for the future.THANKS!

Hey Dave I been thinking.I have a leak when it sits in my driveway (haven't been running it but to work and back after I put a fuse in)and I'm not sure if it's from the resevior or just some excess from the start of this but before I purchase a vaccum system I am gonna Gunk this thing off and dry it myself and look for wet spots on all the hoses and resevior.I kinda fell it is those 2 rubbers on my resevior.I had some work done on it a few weks ago and those guys were leaning on it pretty bad I think they may have broke my seals cause I really didn't have any probs with it till they worked on it and it took a little while for the system to realize it was leaking.That's what I think.I hope that's it and I can just replace seals I really don't wanta replace if thats all it is. But thanks so much for all the help you gave me and I will keep your procedure for the future.THANKS!

Good idea! Gotta try and track down the leak if there is one.

Hey just wanted to fill ya in.My hubby and I found a leak after we cleaned and dryed the brake fluid off of the reservior and lines.The line in the very back that is rubber with metal ends.I think it goes from the top of the reservior and goes to the bottom near the pump part it leaks air and fluid and you can hear it when ya hit the brake. Gonna try to replace it and see what happens.I have brakes and motor runs if I change the fuse.I hope this works. THANKS!

That's the pump supply to the master cylinder. Where exactly is it leaking??

Hey Dave sorry about that it is at the very bottom bolt.The bolt is not flush.But you can't get to it unless you take the breather off. like I said the very bottom bolt.

You completely lost me!!! Bottom bolt?? bottom bolt on what? the master cylinder? and what breather is in the way?? Not sure how a bolt can be leaking unless the master cylinder is completely cracked through.

If you go to your second picture you will see it clearly.I have a long blk duct that goes from my turbo toward the front of the car.I have a 85and I noticed you don't have that big ole breather thing.It is not the hose that runs out of the resevior it is the hose toward the back that has metal ends on it.I think it runs from the mastercyclinder to the pump maybe.Not sure what they are called but if you look toward the back end of the resevior in your second pic you can see it.It is a rubber hose with a metal end on each end and where it connects to the bottom it leaks air(when the brake is applied)and I think it leaks fluid there when it sits.That's in the same area that I found fluid on the ground, it is also on my firewall.

Sounds like you're describing the pumps high pressure supply hose into the master cylinder. If it's leaking at the master cylinder connection, you definately need to get that corrected. Wonder if it's cross threaded? Where that hose goes into the master cylinder is also where the check valve is. The tip of the hose when properly secured presses up against the check valve and is the actual seal. It's sorta like a inverted flare fitting. A leak there would cause ALL your problems.

The top of it is attached to a metal line.It is not leaking there it is below which is the bottom one.Let me see if I can get you a pic.

Oh wow I got ya a pic but I am not sure how to load it.Anyways the top has a metal line attached and it goes into te driver side of the unit.The bottom goes into the motor side and it attached to the unit.It is leaking there.When you cahnge the fuse which blows on a daily basis if you cut the key on th motor starts like it should and when ya push the pedal it makes a swoohing sound everytime you push the brake.The sound is coming fom the bottom of that line.Looks to me like the top of the hose goes into the top of the unit under the resevior and the bottom goes in the otherside but in the unit below the master cyclinder or whatever it is just under the resevior.Hope I'm not confusing ya.It leaks there.Do you think we should try to tighten it?Took it to the mechanic today and he says thats not the problem because when he done your test it showed the motor bad. But I feel it shouldn't leak air and fluid.I thin thats what is blowing my fuse.I don't lose alot of fluid mainly pressure.Is it dangerous for us to try to tighten it or should we let someone else do it?Can you buy that hose and what is it called the pressure supply hose?

If you look just below the box you type your post in, to the lower right of that box are three buttons, Post Reply, Upload a file, and More Options.
You want to click the Upload a File button to post pictures. Then when that's done you can click the Post Reply button.