Powermaster eating fuses

imjoesnuffy

I just break stuff!
Yes another PM thread. Tried a search but came up empty.

Recently replaced my powermaster with a known good one. Everything worked great. I could launch at 15 psi off the foot brake.

Driving the other day I got the dreaded dead pedal. I managed to lock up the rear brakes before hitting anything.

Get it home and find the 30 amp fuse is blown. Swap it out, nothing. The motor doesn't even come on? Whenever I apply the brakes hard with the motor running, it will blow the 30 amp fuse. Still does this even though the PM is not running. Checked all the wires going to and from and I am getting voltage. Cleaned all the connections, still nothing.

Met a friend today and we switched the accumulator ball, nothing.

Switched out the brake switch on the back of the PM, nothing.

On a recommendation from another friend, I was told to hit it with a 3/8 drive extension and hammer and see if that would help. Thinking along these same lines I wiggled the black box that sits on top of the motor below the reservoir and then turned the key on. BAM... the powermaster starts working. Started the car everything's fine. Apply lots of brake pressure and build boost and the fuse blows.

My question is, what should I do from here? I think I have isolated the problem area, but really dont know what to do from here. How do I remove that black box and clean it/whatever connections are under it? I think that is where my short is. Appears to have metal tabs bent over holding it in place.

I hope you didn't actually hit it with anything.
You might break some of that stuff! :biggrin:

The motor relay is in that black box. I have never been into one of these so I honestly don't know how to fix that problem other than to replace the motor. It's a coil interconnected with a contator. If the coil is damaged, feel free to rewind it but it would probably be better to get another motor with a proper coil. An improperly wound circuit can overload the ignition circuits and cause a fire. :eek: If the motor is shorting out (which is what the fuse is protecting) then you are into getting another motor anyway.

So basically, it's time for another motor.
I saw a thread just the other day that had a link to an online vendor that sells them.

On a side note, Do you notice any fluid leakage out of the pump end of the motor?
If so, your check valve meay be leaking as well...possibly causing the short.
Richard Clark has a method of straightening that out that doesn't cost any money.
He may can help with the motor. Contact him to be sure.

No leaks noted anywhere. Just blowing fuses one after another. Works fine until I apply lots of pedal pressure then I hear the fuse pop. I saw a name as a POC for rebuilding them. Might just go the easy route and go to a vacuum system.

imjoesnuffy
I've got a complete spare power-master if you want to give it a try. I picked it up from a junkyard, so I don't know it's condition.
Randy

Blown Brake Fuses...

So, at the end of the day how did you fix this issue? Why do I ask, as I sit in Afghanistan I remember that I STILL have this issue and I drive with basically NO brakes...

Cool87 - in my case it was the pressure switch which had gone bad. It did not signal the motor to turn off at the proper PSI so the motor just ran and ran, eventually overheating the thing and blowing the fuse.

I replaced the switch and no more problems :)

Will

So, at the end of the day how did you fix this issue? Why do I ask, as I sit in Afghanistan I remember that I STILL have this issue and I drive with basically NO brakes...

Hey man,

Hope everything is well at Sal. I finally got home on the 7th. For me it was the motor going bad. I tested the switch with a known good one and that didnt fix it. After that I swapped out the motor with a known good one and that fixed it. The seals inside the motor go bad over time and fluid and electricity, not so good.

If you are ever in the area, hit me up brother, mi casa su casa.

Take care,
John

Cool87 - in my case it was the pressure switch which had gone bad. It did not signal the motor to turn off at the proper PSI so the motor just ran and ran, eventually overheating the thing and blowing the fuse.

I replaced the switch and no more problems :)

Will

Same here.

Thank you!

I appreciate all the help. I will try to get those brakes fixed when I get back to the World. John, I see that you are moving ahead with revamping your combo. You will be in the 10's soon. I still have around 3 months left over here. I will be happy to get it finished and get back with my Family.

Where can you find these parts for a reasonable amount?

Where can I find these parts for cheap so I can finally have brakes again? Thanks!

You could convert to Hydroboost for the same, or less money than buying just the PM motor. Once the motor starts to go, then the acc ball goes, then the switch goes, then the master cylinder blows an o-ring, etc. etc. $250ish gets you all NEW Hydroboost system components, and you won't be at risk of brake failure...with the PM it's just a matter of time. Ticking time bomb. Just my .02 ---Keith