You can type here any text you want

powermaster, hydor boost, or vac. brakes

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

troyboy

86GN & 87GN
I have done a lot of searching on this site and I am still undecided what to do. Two nights ago my powermaster started to leak out the sensor plug, and put brake fluid all over the ground. When this happend I thought this may be a good time to do an upgrade to hydroboost or vac because the brakes have never been that great on the car. I guess what I am asking is what is the consensus on what power unit is working the best for these cars (86-87 TR).
I would like to have a brake system that will hold 5 to 10 pounds of boost at the line and have a good feel on the street. My 86 gn has the alum. drums on the rear and soft cheap shoes and stock front brakes, it has been this way for alot of years. The car only see's about 500 to 1000 miles a year. I don't care if the the power unit does not look stock, just whant the brakes to work good. Thanks in advance for any info - Troy.

Switched over to Hydroboost a couple of months ago on my T and absolutely love how they feel and work. Slowing down for a stop light is basically just sitting your foot on top of the brake pedal little pressure needed. They are a little labor intensive at first but end up great once its switched. I had a GN that I switched to vacuum a couple of years ago. They work good too but just wont nosedive the car like the hydroboost will. Some people on here have no problem holding boost with vacuum brakes and some can't. Holding boost isn't a problem with the hydroboost. My vote is hydroboost. Thats just my two cents I'm sure others will chime in.

Hydroboost - end of story.
GM had it on the early GN's, they should have left well enough alone.

Thanks Guy's, I will see if the GM dealer has a hyroboost for an 84 or the local parts store has one this weekend. Again thanks for the input. Troy.

Thanks Guy's, I will see if the GM dealer has a hyroboost for an 84 or the local parts store has one this weekend. Again thanks for the input. Troy.
Search the forum. There are a bunch of hydroboost posts with junkyard applications and aftermarket part numbers.

If I had to dump my Powermaster, the ONLY choice would be for Hydroboost!

Almost all turbo'd light truck applications (up to one ton+) use the Hydroboost. My Excursion does, and I love the system!! Hauling down an 8,000# monster like it in a panic stop and doing it better than most cars is too cool.

ordered everything I need from advance auto parts (84 TR parts) will have this Saturday. Another question I have is my 86 brake pedel ok or does a guy have to redrill or do some fab work on it. Thanks Troy.

ordered everything I need from advance auto parts (84 TR parts) will have this Saturday. Another question I have is my 86 brake pedel ok or does a guy have to redrill or do some fab work on it. Thanks Troy.

I think your stock pedal will work fine. Vacuum brakes require the brake pedal mods.

Advance is where I ordered all my parts for the swap too. Don't have to modify your brake pedal at all to use the hydroboost.

Back