Powermaster Removal

turbolc2

Mongoose
What is the correct "service" process for removal of the master cylinder to brake pedal rod?The rod will not slip off the pedal pin after removal of the cotter pin & washer.The brake pedal pin is tapered (getting larger going away from the pedal arm) & I can't buy a jack hammer @ ACO.Any help is greatly appreciated.

I just got done doing this about 3 weeks ago. I used a big screw driver and just pryed it off carefully. I know it isn't fun working under the dash while laying on your back!

I know it isn't fun working under the dash while laying on your back!

I think my hat size increased from all the blood flowing to my head. :)

I put some penetrating oil on the pin, loosened the PM from the firewall and jiggled everything loose.

Mike

Yep...not sure why GM made the fit so tight...just be patient and it will come off...helps if you have another set of hands to tilt the PM from under the hood as you slip the rod off...little tip...open up the hole on the end of the rod with a dremel before putting it back...don't have to open it much...makes life easier putting it back on and removing in the future...

I did it 2 nights ago.....again. I removed the drivers side nut entirely, backed off the passenger side nut almost all the way. Then I rotated the unit from under the hood as far as it would go. Slips right off.

On a side note, the replacement unit would not slip on. ??? So I took it off, used the dremel to sand the hole a bit, and bingo, worked like a champ.

I changed mine about 2 months ago and while trying to get it off the car I pulled a little too hard on the brake pedal and the rod popped out of the PM unit itself. I noticed that the end of the rod has a split round nylon bushing and the split allows it to pop into the recessed area of the PM shaft. So, to make a very hard job now take 2 min, I snatched the new rod out of the new unit, bolted it in place, hooked the rod to the brake pedal and with a slight shove forward...pop...the rod is now engauged with the PM unit, all done.

So I'm not sure if its the "PC" way to do it but I say unbolt the PM unit and put a pry bar behind it and give it a tug, you can have the unit off and the rod off the pedal in about 5 min which sure beats fighting and cussing trying to get it off the pedal in one piece.

I just use the long extension that I use to remove the 15mm nuts that hold the PM or vacuum unit to the firewall. Stick the end of the extension on left side of the pedal right above the PM rod and pull towards you, while swearing, and pry it off. ;)

After many times of using the swearing, prying, etc.

I found the method used by scottyb to work the best.

Powermaster Away!

:D Scottyb,You da man!!This method of rotating the powermaster relives the tension on the brake pedal rod.The rod slipped off the pin with 2 fingers.No screwdriver/prybar/jackhammer projectile motion was req'd.Would you believe that work was done on a turbo Buick without swearing?Its stuff like Scottyb's discovery (that is not mentioned in the service manual) needs to be archived.Thanks again

scottyb said:
I did it 2 nights ago.....again. I removed the drivers side nut entirely, backed off the passenger side nut almost all the way. Then I rotated the unit from under the hood as far as it would go. Slips right off.

On a side note, the replacement unit would not slip on. ??? So I took it off, used the dremel to sand the hole a bit, and bingo, worked like a champ.

Thank you for this tip. Worked out great!! :)