Powermaster Safety Recall

Fuelie600

Back in '91 I brought my GN to a local dealership for a Powermaster recall. They replaced the brake switch with part #18018141 and noted on my work order,"compliance w/brake switch recall". Since that time, I have heard through various guys in the Buick community that the accumalator and combo(proportioning) valve which was to be replaced with a brass unit were also part of this recall. Does anyone have the staight scoop on this? I will be installing a "Max Torque brake launch kit" and would like to swap out for the correct recalled parts with my local dealer while I have things apart! Thank you ------Brian

Brake recall

Hey Fuelie600, as I understand it, the combo valve was only recalled on the Estate station wagons with the powermaster. I haven't heard about the accumulator ball being replaced do to a recall, however the new ones are different than the originals. Also I don't believe the dealers will still honor the recalls. There was a post not too long ago about someone getting turned down a the dealer.

Matt

Only the brake switch was replaced on my car for the recall.

Bought it new.

Last time the car was at a Buick dealer too. :)

I brought my car in for the un-done recall a little less than a year ago. My car is a Canadian unit and it was us Canucks that had the proportioning valve recalled on the T's and GN's. As mentioned above, the [now $328cdn] switch ontop of the PM was also recalled. If they lifted the hood and saw a grey one there, they closed the hood. If it was black, then they swapped in a replacement grey one. When the service rep appeared as though he was going to hedge on the recall, I explained that I would leave his dealership and rear end the first car that came by, and then sue GM for zillions after I had a time-stamped receipt in my hand from the dealership. When I asked him if he wanted to split the lawsuit winnings with me, he brought my car right in. :) Obviously, that was just 'inspirational chat' as I certainly wouldn't have followed through...but it worked.
GNTTYPE.org has some info and campaign number on the recalls.
HTH
Jim

Check out "power master switch" on 12-31-01 @ 10:17 PM.
Any other questions, feel free to email me.
GENE

Thanks guys, Did some TR's come with the brass valves, or are there right and wrong cast iron ones? How do you tell which is the correct one? Does anyone have the GM part # for the brass valve?

I had a local Buick guy replace my switch after it failed.. Any ways I called Buick up the Main office and ask about this recall.. And since the recall states (The parts will be replaced no matter what the mileage is) Buick will refund you the money.. It took some time since you have to jump through some hoops.. I paid for it upfront but was refunded.. Any questions I can help...

Brad

Originally posted by Jimn8or
I brought my car in for the un-done recall a little less than a year ago. My car is a Canadian unit and it was us Canucks that had the proportioning valve recalled on the T's and GN's. As mentioned above, the [now $328cdn] switch ontop of the PM was also recalled. If they lifted the hood and saw a grey one there, they closed the hood. If it was black, then they swapped in a replacement grey one. When the service rep appeared as though he was going to hedge on the recall, I explained that I would leave his dealership and rear end the first car that came by, and then sue GM for zillions after I had a time-stamped receipt in my hand from the dealership. When I asked him if he wanted to split the lawsuit winnings with me, he brought my car right in. :) Obviously, that was just 'inspirational chat' as I certainly wouldn't have followed through...but it worked.
GNTTYPE.org has some info and campaign number on the recalls.
HTH
Jim

You're bad,but I like it.Ha ha ha ..:D

Great link Stikeeagle! According to GM's (OR11) bulletin, my GN is one of the vehicles targeted for both the switch and brass valve replacement. I'll go see my local GM dealer next week to get me a valve!!

fuelie600

Did you ever get your valve?

I'm tring to do the same thing and the local dealerships never heard of this recall. I guess the next step is to call Buick coorprate and see if they will still honor this recall 12 years later.

Frank