You can type here any text you want

Powermaster ???

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

affordablegn

Banned
My Brake Pedal Is Very Stiff And I Can Barely Stop.
How Do You Know Which Part Is Bad???
Is It The Pressure Switch?
The Accumulator?
Or The Powermaster Itself?
Is There A Way To Troubleshoot This?
Any Ideas???
Thanks
Affordablegn

I had that happen to me at 50 mph. I didn't ask how to repair/fix it. I spoke to Geoff and acquired the parts to the vacuum conversion kit. Good luck.

Conversion

What is everyone's opinion about the vacuum setup?
I've heard pros and cons!
Anyone else have an opinion?
Thanks!

do a search for vacuum brake conversion...its been discussed...and discussed...and discussed until no one wants talk about it anymore :D

If you dont want to devalue the car put the master back on. Mine went bad and it was easyer to replace the whole thing.You can find a good rebuild. Its hard to determine what went bad and if it effected anything else. Cal Jay from Jays GN parts, 724-925-2274. He'll help you out.

Hard pedal is usually accumulator bad.Wiyh ignition on,no start and motor can be heard running,then switch is good.Im not saying that the motor may not be buiding pressure.Check for blown fuse first.If motor runs too long long it will blow fuse.

I had the same problem. In the middle of traffic my brakes just went totally hard and I thought I was going to nail the car in front of me. Didn't happen lucky for me. Anyways I have some powermaster diagnosis info that I found before I decided it would be easier and cheaper to go vacuum.

diagchart.gif

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c107/theshrew77/powermaster.jpg

PwrMstr.gif

maybe this will help

I was out in my GN last night coming back from a cruise and the brake light came on. Driving a little further I got 3 more normal stops then the pedal went to a rock. Used the e brake to get off the road.. Banged on the top of the master cyl. I heard the pump fire back up and the light went out. Drove 5 miles home with no problems. So you guys think that it's the motor going or a bad connection somewhere? Anyone know of someone that sells the motors or had this issue before? I have the vac. conversion sitting in the basement but I'd like to keep the Power crapper as long as I can.

Turbo2s link is interesting,but at 450 bucks and a 1yr warranty isnt a deal.The bladder is what fails in these units,thats how precharge is lost.

That is why the cost is so high. It has a special diaphram that doesn't break down when exposed to brake fluid.

It has a special diaphram that doesn't break down when exposed to brake fluid.
And does anyone think that Delco-Morraine used a material which won't withstand brake fluid? There are two or three lawyers out there who would LOVE to represent you/us, if that were true. But if it were true, there would have been a recall many years ago, after the FIRST lawsuit.

phillyturbosix said:
I was out in my GN last night coming back from a cruise and the brake light came on. Driving a little further I got 3 more normal stops then the pedal went to a rock. Used the e brake to get off the road.. Banged on the top of the master cyl. I heard the pump fire back up and the light went out. Drove 5 miles home with no problems. So you guys think that it's the motor going or a bad connection somewhere? Anyone know of someone that sells the motors or had this issue before? I have the vac. conversion sitting in the basement but I'd like to keep the Power crapper as long as I can.

Jason Terry may still have some new motors. Do a search. My powermaster motor seems like it's slowly dying. The problem is that even when the accumulator issue is solved, where are we going to have a steady supply of pressure switches. It would have been nice if the PM system had a standard Teves thread and a constant supply of replacable parts (even aftermarket would be okay for me). But since the supply is limited, the choice (for longevity) seems to be vaccum or hydroboost. I'm opting for hydroboost. Don't want to start a war, that is just my decision and you as members can choose which ever system strikes your fancy. And parts, or whole vacuum or hydroboost systems are still available for a price that is just as or more reasonable than a PM system.

Whew: About 1.5 years ago I bought Kirban's last genuine original new in the box powermaster. Wasn't cheap, but now I am glad that I did.

Back