Powertrax locker review

BlackBeauty

Hey everyone, I recently installed a Powertrax Lock-Rite locker, I know many people are interested in this unit (and one member had bad luck with one), so I will post a short review. My car puts out about 320hp/400tq to the wheels, and I had an open diff.

ORDERING: cheap and easy, $200 from Summit Racing

INSTALL: not as speedy as people make it sound. One member said it took him 30 minutes to install, well realistically at the 30 minute mark my step-dad and I were just getting done scraping the old gasket and silicon off of the rear diff. cover. It took us a couple hours, we worked nice 'n easy, and it's pretty straight-forward. It really does require only wrenches and a screwdriver. It seems that a lot of people on-line under-exaggerate install times for every car part, maybe because they are afraid others will think they are incompetent? :confused: But for a couple of people who have never done this type of work before, a couple hours is a good amount of time to set aside. These cars are old, so a lot of things can get in the way.

CLICKING SOUND AROUND TURNS: First time backing down the driveway, as I turned it made a loud "thunk!" I wanted to drive back up the driveway and park it! But after that, no more loud scary sounds. As for the clicking sound around turns, I can't hear it at all during normal driving. My car is pretty loud anyway (3" Mease DP, Hooker catback without the tailpipes), so I would guess the people at Powertrax warn of the clicking sound because it may be heard on a stock car (or exhaust system that sounds close to stock quietness).

PERFORMANCE: Well, the car no longer goes sideways when I floor it. With the 275/60/15 BFG DR's on the car, it now spins the hell out of them while keeping the rear wheels directly behind the front. I guess this is a good safety measure for the street. However, I still can't get traction. I still haven't launched from a stop yet, for fear of unsatisfactory results. People on this board say that the 275/60/15 BFG DR's are good for mid-high 11's, but as noted above, my car doesn't even put out that kind of power, and the tires can't handle it even with the locker. Maybe I need suspension???

CONCLUSION: I've had the locker in for only about 100 miles, so far so good. I'm pretty sure only one member on this board has had a problem with a Powertrax unit (different model), but so many board members have read his threads that they are now worried about buying one. I wouldn't worry about one person's experience when many have been successful.

Originally posted by BlackBeauty
CONCLUSION: I've had the locker in for only about 100 miles, so far so good. I'm pretty sure only one member on this board has had a problem with a Powertrax unit (different model), but so many board members have read his threads that they are now worried about buying one. I wouldn't worry about one person's experience when many have been successful.
The No-slip that I installed still only leaves a black tire mark on the drivers side, but I believe passenger tire is still working to gain tractionk just not leaving a mark. I still would say to buy the version you bought, the ORIGINAL Lock-Rite.

Had good experiences with the PT unit too....
The BFGs won't stick that well until you heat them up...even then, traction on the street will be marginal at best. Now on a prepped track, whole different ball game.

You gat to remember, there are 2 items that need to stick, one is your tires, the other is the road. You can control the tires, not the road.

I broke mine in a month with a 12.5 (on race gas)car.
I have had a friend with a nova and a mustang also break their units. Good luck, it did not like my car!

Originally posted by zam70

The BFGs won't stick that well until you heat them up...even then, traction on the street will be marginal at best. Now on a prepped track, whole different ball game.

This is very true! If you have ever driven slicks on the street you'll see they don't stick like they do at the track at all. I bet if you tried the BFG DR's at the track you'd see them hook a WHOLE lot better!

I wouldn't say that they over exaggerate it. I tried one in my truck and it sounded like I was going up a roller coaster any time I made a slight turn. So I would venture to say that some are louder than others, but better to overexaggerate it and it be quiter than be diappointed with noise!

Hey Chris, nice GP. I like your website. Looked quickly though the bb and saw some neat vids of a turbo Cavalier. Nice rice killer.

Originally posted by soonergn
I bet if you tried the BFG DR's at the track you'd see them hook a WHOLE lot better!
Actually I used them at the track before I had the lock-rite in there. With about 18psi in them, I tried launching with 4psi and spun 'em half-way down the track, good thing I let off the gas or I would've spun all the way to the traps it felt like. Hopefully with the Powertrax locker, this will change.
So I would venture to say that some are louder than others, but better to overexaggerate it and it be quiter than be diappointed with noise!
That's what I meant...

Originally posted by John Wilde
I broke mine in a month with a 12.5 (on race gas)car.
I have had a friend with a nova and a mustang also break their units. Good luck, it did not like my car!
What happened to them? What were the symptoms after the locker broke? And were these the Lock-Rite or the No-Slip?

Thanks for the review.

I plan on buying mine in the winter/spring.
for 04 install.

I heard the clicking stories or the I wrecked it all before.

I do know the early versions had some problems & think
the newer ones have the corrections in place.

For the money & the ease of install time a couple of hours
seems just what I need.. The peg leg just don't cut it anymore.

I had one way back when they first came out for the GM 8.5" and blew the thing apart after a few times to the track. PT sent me a HD replacement for free and it held up to the day I sold my GN....and I was not easy on it at all! PT told me there are 2 different types and the HD unit is sold with some kind of special metal center pin. When these first came out PT was so backordered on the HD unit they were telling folks it would be months. Turns out the company doing the "special metal" pins was waiting for a shipment of this metal from overseas. My Gn launched arrow straight every time and after a few hundred miles the loud noises in the rear all but went away. I would recommend if you buy one to use the race springs they give ya in the kit. The street springs are too soft and do not react quick enough.

We got the HD unit (can't recall the name?) from Northern Auto Parts for around $375 or so, the unit with the special shaft. It's in my son's 383" MCSS with GN rear axle and SSM lowers. The engine is pretty lumpy, so we've never heard any clicking noises, but remember one thing - don't get on the throttle while in a turn! - these things lock on acceleration regardless of wheel speed.