You can type here any text you want

Preparing for a cross-country trip

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Under the advice of Pat at the Schucks on 4th Plain I just picked up some AC Rapidfire #2, which cross from the R45-TSX specified. Now the book says .060, which I am going to go ahead and try. After that I'm going to set the timing to 15 degrees BTDC per the manual and the underhood sticker. If it still has problems I'll let you guys know.

I couldn't agree more on the thermostat. There aren't any O2 sensors or computer stuff to appease so no worries. Maybe when it runs right it won't have the overheat problems. EGR will be next, just on principle. It's not that expensive is it? Anyway, I'll update you all in a few days when I have some miles on her.

Did you talk to him about his Monte chassis?

Rapidfires did me pretty good when I was running during the winter but for summer I switched out to the R45TSX's.

I'll be picking up his Monte chassis this weekend at latest. I should know how this thing runs by tonight or tomorrow. I'm running out of light tonight!

Well, I've got the new plugs in, AC Rapidfire #2, .060 gap. The engine started with only one pump from dead cold, which is normal. Once it was warmed up a bit, I took it out and played around. It is a lot more responsive than before, but the engine still pings and hesitates under full load at high RPM. I'll be setting the timing tomorrow and report back. Talk to you then!

The hesitation is the turbo control center pulling timing due to the knocking. If you want any WOT performance, you'll need to git rid of the knock. Colder plugs would have help.

Also, I quickly found this (http://216.239.39.104/search?q=cach...files/GM.PDF+plug+gap+too+wide&hl=en&ie=UTF-8[/url])

Supercharged General Motors 3.8 liter V6 engines and spark plugs

Supercharged engines are much harder on spark plugs than normally-aspirated engines - particularly late model street engines delivered with spark plugs overly-gapped to help control exhaust emissions. Supercharging an engine raises the cylinder pressures, and for this reason,it’s critical the correct spark plug heat range is maintained, the spark plugs are gapped appropriately (not necessarily the factory recommended gap) and the sparkplugs are replaced regularly.
Spark plug manufacturers suggest reducing the factory recommended spark plug gaps on supercharged engines because using a too wide gap can result in misfires, loss of power, poor fuel economy, premature spark plugfailure, uncontrolled exhaust emissions and possible engine damage. If you use your supercharged street engine for commuting, keep in mind (unlike in a race engine where special racing spark plugs are regularly replaced) the spark plug gaps progressively erode and widen with everyday use.

GM/Buick specifies plugs for the "average" driver. The average driver rarely runs WOT. Are you average? :)

I'm certainly not an "average driver" in that sense of the term. All of my cars see WOT at least once a week. Keeps them running well in my opinion.

I broke out the timing light today and went after it. That distributer bolt isn't easy to get at! I didn't check the timing before I loosened the bolt so I don't know where it was, but I set it at ~14 degrees, just under the 16 mark. After it was all tight I took it for a short drive and it pinged again, but not as bad. I poured in some Turbo 108 octane boost on top of the almost full tank of 92 and it seemed to stop pinging. I'll know for sure tomorrow...I'm driving it to Seattle and back. I'll have an updated gas mileage figure as well. I'm planning on gapping the plugs down to .045 after that and doing it all again.

I'll keep you posted, although I imagine you guys are right on. Thanks again for all the help!

I'm not sure. I don't have a boost gauge yet. It's probably set at the factory setting, 9PSI? I'll bring it up to 13 when I get the gauge.

Latest is I'm getting much better gas mileage...16 MPG with mixed city and highway driving including some playing around. Still have a pinging problem though. Sometimes it pings a lot, sometimes not at all. Still hesitates at WOT as well, pinging or not. I'm going to bring the plugs down to .040 next time I get a chance. Any way I can check the EGR valve while it is on the car?

Get a boost gauge. It's VERY likely it's no longer at 9 psi. If your actuator is blown (common), you could easily be overboosting and bye-bye headgasket. :( These cars will knock some even at stock boost levels.

When you can hear the pinging, it's bad, very bad. You can't hear much of the knock.

Originally posted by pat83t
I figured it out and it works out to about 18.5-20 MPG.

Pat get your feet out of the 4bbl....
I got 19-26mpg driving the I-5 parking lot from Tacoma to SeaTac IAP. Crosscountry I pulled 25-26mpg. But that is with a 200r4...OD helps.

YES GAUGE...replacing HG's is no fun.....
Jim

Is the actuator the small vacuum diaphram that controls the wastegate? How do I test it? I plan on getting a boost gauge very soon. I'll let you know when it's installed and what's going on with the boost. Thanks again guys!

Originally posted by Ttype83
Pat get your feet out of the 4bbl....
I got 19-26mpg driving the I-5 parking lot from Tacoma to SeaTac IAP. Crosscountry I pulled 25-26mpg. But that is with a 200r4...OD helps.

YES GAUGE...replacing HG's is no fun.....
Jim

Sorry, can't help it. Looks like I am going to be getting a new tranny soon. ( Out of nessicity, not want.) :(

Yes the actuator controls the wastegate. Pull the hose in front that connects to the compressor's foot. Apply pressure to the port and see if the actuator's rod comes out. (There's a vacuum port on the actuator also that serves no purpose, so remove the line and cap it off at the carb plenum).

Pat, get a good high stall converter. :)

Well, thanks very much for the information guys. The car is officially parked until I get back from New York in a few weeks. I didn't get a chance to work on it today. I did pick up that '80 Monte from Pat in Longview though. Looks like a future race car to me! I'll probably start a new thread when I get back. Thanks again!

Mike

kicks ur butt

o i just wanted to say that turbo monte carlos kick butt!!!! and the best monte by far is the 81 turbo

Back