Primer / Sealer ??

Whistle Pig

I just had my car blasted down to metal and wonder what I could seal it with while I work on the drive train and body. I have been told the sealer needs to not react with plasticc ( bondo ) or other paints? I may drive this car before its painted...... Any Idea's
Thank You
Kevin

dp90 from dupont. It has been on my 57 belair for over 3 years and still looks great. It is a primer and sealer.

85 ttypewh1 said:
dp90 from dupont. It has been on my 57 belair for over 3 years and still looks great. It is a primer and sealer.

dp90 is from PPG

good epoxy primer btw

petesgn said:
dp90 is from PPG

good epoxy primer btw

*****I'm at work right now, and don't have the link, but PPG has or had a pretty good writeup on dp90.

Ditto on above regarding it being a good epoxy primer. I'll be using it on my project below:

**** Also, sorry for hi-jacking the thread, but I will be sanding my checked up hood to bare metal, primering it etc.. and want to know if anyone has a good way for me to get my newer 3.8 SFI badges off the hood, without breaking them?

My originals were broken, and it was no big deal taking them off as their adhesive was pretty weak. I'd like to keep the newer ones in one piece if at all possible.

I'll be taking off other badges that are worn on *other* parts of the car (not being re-painted..), and replacing them as well, so a good way to do it, and clean up the residue left behind would be appreciated!

Thanks

Billy
Montgomery Village, MD

not sure what the laws are like where you live, but here in SoCal there is only one form of the PPG primer available. its still the DP series of epoxy primers, but they have the LF Suffix on them. DP90LF and whatnot. ( they also have DP40LF and umm... DP50LF i think, the only difference is color. ) The DP90LF is a black epoxy primer and will work well to seal out the moisture and will bond to the metal without the use of an etching primer. the corrosion resistance will come in handy if you will not be completing the car in a short amount of time as well. dont count on it too much as a great surfacer, but you can pile something else on top of it if you need to. its really nice stuff.

The LF stands for Lead Free. if you can get the original stuff, hey, go for it. im all for VOCs and Chromates ha ha. its just not legal here in SoCal. but hey, i painted one of my cars with a 4.2 VOC clearcoat that i still can get any time i want.

oh yeah, i work at a paint shop and sell primers, paint and other crap all day long.