problem with new cold air intake

87 gnash

just put on big mouth air kit.. drove about 5 miles (getting on it a bit)...stock 87 GN with no other mods and 44 k miles

when i brought the car back and touched the bottom of the new k&n filter, it appeared to have a slight coat of trans oil (i think)..

what is wrong here???

any guidance is appreciated...

K&N filters are coated with a light red oil. Maybe that's what's on the bottom of the filter. Maybe whoever oiled the filter used a tad too much.

I just installed my Big Mouth Cold Air Kit too. The only concern I have is the way the filter hangs lower than the air dam. Other than that, it fit great and my T sounds like a 767 on takeoff. I love it.

If you put it on there right, you shouldn't be able to see it unless you look under the car. Your intercooler should hang down a little past it.

I didn't want mine too far down so I put it as far up as I could. Too bad that nice looking filter is not seen!

I don't think you could possibly put it on wrong. It only fits one way. It may be because I have a front mount.

I've been told that some/all of them hang down just a hair below the air dam. Perhaps this depends on the individual kit or the car it is installed on?

-Jade