You can type here any text you want

Problem with Thrasher

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

1quick6

Shadetree Mechanic
I have a Thrasher chip with the anti-theft feature. The problem is, it will no longer start even when performing the sequence. It had worked for a few years. Can someone who knows about this chip PM me with suggestions on what to check for? I'd rather not discuss the specifics of this chip here. :)

Thanks in advance.

Try putting the battery on a charger. Mine would not start if the battery wasn't putting out enough. If not, it won't bypass the anti theft.

You might want to put the stock chip in there to make sure it will start independent of the Thrasher chip ;)

you could hook up Turbo-link and go through some of the sequence and see if T-Link indicates what should be happening is working.

Thanks for the replies. The car does start and runs fine with another chip. I am going to hook up TLink and make sure all of the parts of the sequence are registering correctly, if you know what I mean.

Thanks

Using TLink to check "stuff" while running the stock chip is a good idea. Check that all the sensors are outputting normal values.

By the way, which Thrasher chip are you using? The reason I ask is, I was recently asked by a friend to modify his Thrasher (9230) and while doing so, I found three bugs in the code. I'm not sure if the same code is used in all versions, but it might be. One bug affects knock during trans shifts, one affects the Integrator's ability to properly track the O2 sensor (during closed loop), and the third affects AE for a short time after the car is started. None of them are major show stoppers though.

If I have the Thrasher version you're using, I'll look at the "start engine" code to see if anything is unusual and I'll check for the 3 problems just mentioned. I'll let you know.

Dennis,

I am not sure how to tell what version I have. Is it stamped on the chip or is it something I can find out in TurboLink? It is a few years old. The car ran great last year with it and I had no problems. I guess that is why I am suspecting that something involved in the sequence is not registering correctly with the ECM. I have a list of things to look for from Scott Simpson, so I am going to check that out.

Originally posted by dennisL
If I have the Thrasher version you're using, I'll look at the "start engine" code to see if anything is unusual and I'll check for the 3 problems just mentioned.
That would be a waste of time. The chips has worked fine for him previously. As you shirley know, chips cannot "go bad" and reset their checksum. Steve's chip is good. The car is doing something off kilter....

Steve will announce his findings. I have a strong suspicion that he will find a weak battery.:(

Well, all of the players in the startup sequence checked out with Turbo Link. I then swapped in the AC Delco battery from my GMC truck and it started right up. Pretty good guess, Scott and Rob. I guess that is what I get for buying a Wal-Mart battery in a pinch.

Thanks. I never would have thought of that since the car started fine with a stock chip.

Steve,

I'm glad your car starts now, but you should have told us the battery came from Wal-Mart.

Although Scott doesn't like Thrasher "inside" information given out, here goes ... The Thrasher chips were designed while using a Delco battery and will only work with another brand if the battery characteristics are "Delco-like". There is actually code in at least one version of Thrasher that checks for a Wal-Mart battery. You must be using that chip. I'm really suprised the car started for an entire year.

How the battery manufacturer is determined by the chip is much too complicated to describe here. In any case, get your new battery and enjoy driving the car. Just stay away from Wal-Mart and Pep Boys batteries.;)

actually this is the anti-stupidity feature not anti-theft. No offense but the Thrasher feature keeps a TR owner from being stupid and using non-standard or poor quality power sources. The good thing is there is no extra charge for this feauture.
;)

Hehe, good ones guys.

The actual problem is another "bug/feature" of the Thrasher chips. Tom inadvertantly raised the minimum voltage requirement for the ECM to stay ON after startup. Factory is 9.X volts but Thrashers are 10.Y volts. I am not exactly sure what X and Y are, but you can see the potential for the Low-Battery startup problems with a Thrasher.

It's a bug if the car doesn't start...It's a feature in that it is telling you that you have a sub-par performing battery that you might want to replace before it really goes bad...:p

Back