Problems please help

paintitblack

I need help cuz i'm pulling my hair out. I've done a complete 86/87 swap into my 85 T. I've got everything done and ready to fire it up but I have no power to anything on the motor and the service engine soon light and the fuel pump dont come on. Everything else works lights, windows, aftermarket guages, so on and so on. The starting system works and the motor cranks. I checked the power to the computer and it has 12v. The factory manual said to check ignition voltage to the ecm with the key on and I got nothing. All the fuses are good and have power going thru them all. I checked the fusible links coming off the starter and their all good. I don't know if I need to run extra wires in this swap or maybe I have a bad ecm. Also my digital dash isn't working , I wonder if this is related or a completely seperate problem. I moved the battery to the trunk but I have all the required wires run and all the correct grounds connected. I hope you guys have a answer cuz i'm stumped. I'm not online very much so i'm slow to respond but I will check regulary if somebody needs information. Thanks Brian

Presumably you are using the 86/87 harness, ECM, CALPAK and chip. First thing that comes to mind is the crank sensor: the ring on the balancer could be riding in the wrong groove. Pretty common mistake, done it more times than I care to admit

Usually no Check Engine is a sign that the ECM has either no power or has failed. How did you check for power at it? sometimes you can probe and have good power but it may have a bad connection! I had mine die pulling into a parking lot, the pin broke off the wire...
,Dan

Presumably you are using the 86/87 harness, ECM, CALPAK and chip. First thing that comes to mind is the crank sensor: the ring on the balancer could be riding in the wrong groove. Pretty common mistake, done it more times than I care to admit

I have also done the wrong grove on the crank sensor, but he said no CE with key on..

Usually no Check Engine is a sign that the ECM has either no power or has failed. How did you check for power at it? sometimes you can probe and have good power but it may have a bad connection! I had mine die pulling into a parking lot, the pin broke off the wire...
,Dan

Had a similar problem with one of mine: turns out there was a water leak at the base of the windshield and the water was dripping right onto the ecm terminals. 2 different Buick dealers couldn't figure out why it kept frying ECMs.....

Yes i'm using an 87 harness, ecm, and the chip was burnt by turbo tweak. I have the 85 calpack in cause i didn't have an 87 one and eric at TT said they were the same. The ecm is a reman from special additions and never used. I check the ignition power at the pin, didn't probe the wire. The manual states that the maf, coilpack, esc, and ecm all get power from the same fuse. There is power at the fuse but no power to any of those things. Brian

Not sure about the calpak interchanging, but Eric knows more about that than I do. Only other thing I can think of: what did you do with that orange wire that comes off of the positive battery cable? That supplies power to the ecm as well.

I also ran a jumper wire to the fuel pump test lead and the pump primed the lines. I know the ecm controls the pump. I'm wondering if the 85 fuse box don't distribute the power correctly to the 87 harness? I'm hoping we can figure this out without pulling out the entire harness and going thru every single wire.

Not sure about the calpak interchanging, but Eric knows more about that than I do. Only other thing I can think of: what did you do with that orange wire that comes off of the positive battery cable? That supplies power to the ecm as well.

That wire is ran and connected and has power all the way to the ecm

I don't think the fuse panel itself should matter. Best I can tell you it's one of three things:

Double check the orange ECM lead at the bat cable
The crank sensor is in the wrong groove
You got a bad ECM out of the box (rare but it does happen) Double check to make sure both chips are fully seated as well

The fues panel is different. Some power will be missing. Your prolly going to have to run some hot wires. Check for power at the injector harness and the ignition module. The pink and black wires all should have 12v with the key on.

The fues panel is different. Some power will be missing. Your prolly going to have to run some hot wires. Check for power at the injector harness and the ignition module. The pink and black wires all should have 12v with the key on.

I did not know that..

Thats what I figured. Would you or anyone else have anymore specifics. Do I need to run power to every single thing or should it be to one or two wires? I'm sure someone has delt with this before. I'm not the only one to do this swap. Any help would greatly appriciated. I just don't want make a mess. Thanks, Brian

I did my 87 conversion in my 85 G/N ,just changed the engine wiring harness,didn't touch the fuse panel,been driving the car for two months,zero issues.

I did an 87 swap to my 84 the only problem I had was the cooling fan not running. is the bolt to the back of fuse block tight? when you put the connector on the ecm check all the wires, make sure they don't push out of connector. try pushing them down one at a time. I don't have a digital dash good luck!

Thats what I figured. Would you or anyone else have anymore specifics. Do I need to run power to every single thing or should it be to one or two wires? I'm sure someone has delt with this before. I'm not the only one to do this swap. Any help would greatly appriciated. I just don't want make a mess. Thanks, Brian

There are 2 pink and black wires on the module that need 12v

There is 1 pink and black wire on the injector harness needs 12v

There is also a pink and black wire on the maf plug. I think thats it. Check them all with the key on. The ones without power, run a quick jumper too and fire that thing up. ;):biggrin: