You can type here any text you want

probs with alston tube arms

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

daturbosix

i have alstons' tubular lower control arms on the back of my car and i cant get a stock style swaybar between them.
is this a comon problem? do i HAVE to use a chassis mounted one like BMR, Spohn, and H&R sells?

Are you trying to put an ATR bar on them? The thicker ATR/Full Throttle bars need to be notched to fit the tubular lower bars, and most boxed arms for that matter. What I did with my old UMI's back in the day was take a grinder to them and try to make a round groove into the mating surface of the bar. This helps keep the bar in place when your suspension flexes, like when you are going into a driveway. The bigger bars have a tendensy to "POP" when loaded while on the tubular arms. It will be a mother f*er to get it onto the arms and in place. This isnt a good thing becuase they have a tendonsey to push the lower bars outward and cause excessive bushing wear. It's not a bad thing to massage the bar a little either way to get rid of some of that binding.;)

I was thinking about getting the umi tubular rear upper and lower. Would purchasing a swaybar from umi make my install alot easier?

I would stay away from the UMI tubular lowers. If anything get UMI's boxed lowers. With our stock style swaybars, it just doesnt make sense to run a round lower and mate it to a flat bar.

i have alstons' tubular lower control arms on the back of my car and i cant get a stock style swaybar between them.
is this a comon problem? do i HAVE to use a chassis mounted one like BMR, Spohn, and H&R sells?

I have never liked the tube arms with the factory style bar. My Full throttle bar I had pulled my Metco arms in so bad, it ripped the bushings out. I had to space it with washers to make sure it did not suck them in again. I got rid of that set-up pretty damn quick. I now have adjustable tube lowers and uppers and the Chassis mounted HR bar. Boy, what a difference. If your not going to throw BIG HP at it, stay with the parts you have, but I would grind on the bar and not the arms. Maybe heat it and try bending it a little, bolt it in and let it cool down in position, if possible. Just make sure you dont cool it with water or it will weakin it. It doesnt need to be red hot either.

:biggrin:

Back