Professional opinions needed

jimmymopower

I'm in the middle of the second re-paint on my GN,(yes second. The fist time around the hardner in the base reacted with the clear causing it to de-laminate.) The first time it looked great, but there was an awful lot of wet sanding and buffing to get it there. My question is, what procedure can I use to make the paint as smooth and as glossy as possible before the clear is shot? Should I wet sand the base with 2000? I'm doing most of the work myself, and have gotten several different answers from the guys in the paint shop, and wanted another opinion. I have no problem sanding for as long as it takes, I just want it to be perfect the second time around. BTW, I won't be spraying the car, just the grunt work... Thanks in advance, James.

jimmymopower said:
I'm in the middle of the second re-paint on my GN,(yes second. The fist time around the hardner in the base reacted with the clear causing it to de-laminate.) The first time it looked great, but there was an awful lot of wet sanding and buffing to get it there. My question is, what procedure can I use to make the paint as smooth and as glossy as possible before the clear is shot? Should I wet sand the base with 2000?

What paint system are you using? PPG and DuPont base/clear do not require hardener to be added to the base coat. I also believe that you DO NOT want to sand your last coat of base before you clear it. Get the tech sheets for the particular paint you are using and pay close attention to the "time-windows" required to topcoat/clearcoat. If you wait too long, like more than a couple days, you will have to sand the basecoat and re-apply or the clear WILL NOT bond well with the base coat.

As far as sanding, I have heard that a lot of guys like to wet-sand with 600 or so between layers of primer, sealer, and maybe the first base coat. You could also wet-sand your first couple layers of clear.

Good luck,

Pete

When you apply the color coats before clearing, you only have to cover. In your case.........black. Seems to me, a couple coats and your done the base color. Pretty tough to get much orange peel in only a couple coats. Make sure you put on enough clear if you're going to sand out to flat (texture) finish. One way to do it, is put on three or four coats of clear, next day, block it flat with wet 500 grit, and re-clear it again with 3 or 4 coats. Then after a couple days, start wet sanding it. I do somehting like 500, to get it flat, then 800, then 1500. All with a long block.

Thanks for the help guys!! All I need now is the time to block the primer, and for the paint shop to catch up on work... Thanks again!

Delamination?

Jimmy, are you working with Nason? That's the only BC/CC product I've used that requires a hardener in the base. ('tho there's probably others) If your're worried about a delamination problem you can always spray an "Intercoat" clear (sometimes referred to as a 1K clear) between the base and the topcoat (referred to as 2K clear) to promote adhesion, particularily if the base has been sitting for a while before final topcoating. One word of caution, as much as I agree with what RRT said as far as the cut polish process goes; make sure your're working with a medium or hi solids 2K clear. The reason I mentioned Nason earlier is that their 2K is a lo solids clear that isn't going to take a 500/800/1500/2000 grit cut-polish process. Well, not unless there's umpteen coats of clear on the car! Good luck with your project.