Propane to pre-spool turbo?

I personally now like the idea of spooling a turbo quickly through the turbine side rather than the compressor side. All of this is just to get the brain gears turning. Modifying the compressor side does not effect backpressure of the exhaust side, but whatever goes through the compressor has to go into the intake. Therefore, my original question was if you dump excess propane or alky into the intake at low boost, how badly will this effect combustion efficiency? I'm not throwing out the nos method, I just want that as MY last resort. Now, modifying the turbine side creates more backpressure then typically expected and depending on how well its controlled this can really make for a fast turbo. As long as the backpressure doesn't skyrocket resulting in ineffiency of the combustion chamber exhaust flow or a compound pressure that blows the head gasket, this method has a lot of potential as long as its controlled properly.

The key to all this is if you can make a high volume/boost turbo streetable, you have probably the baddest ride out there.

One last comment on propane, 200 psi does not have near the potential of nos 2000 psi, but if (and I'm just saying if) propane was setup in a 2000 psi bottle (danger multiplies too!) there is a lot of turbo spooling potential in that bottle!:D

I work on much larger engines for a living, and the diesels that I work with have what is called an air impingement system. This system activates on an emergency-start and sends compressed air through a nozzle to the turbine side of the turbo. Similar to what cool84 had tried. It provides instant spool on our 2500KW generators (big turbos). I have always wanted to perform this mod on my car turbo, just havent had the time.

i've got an idea, its just that, i don't know how praticle it would be. if you hooked a blow off valve up to some form of a pressure resivor, when you let off the throttle the extra air goes into this resivor for storage. maybe the wastegate could be set up to run at full boost all the time with the extra air being forced into thie resivor. I.E. the turbo makes 30 psi, the resivor takes 15 psi, so, you start out with an empty resivor bring the boost up to 30 psi, once the bottle reaches 15psi the wastegate is allowed to open and the turbo only makes 15 psi or whatever you want the engine to have.

ok, so now you have the car stoped and a resivor filled with 15 psi of air. take off and release the air either into the inlet side of the turbo, i think it would make more sence right before the inter cooler. so you get an instant short burst of air, depending on the ammont of air it should be enough to eleminate any lag.

in theory it looks like it would work, and i'm sure its physically possible and can be done, i just don't know how.

If you were to just inject the air, you would have to send it in before the MAF for proper fuel scheduling(unless you have an aftermarker comp with no MAF).

I would suggest anyone try what I did (at your own risk of course) and I guarantee there will be more people asking chip manufacturers to have a timing retard for .5 seconds from when you first floor it. It doesn't get anymore instant than that. Remember, back in those days I had the TA64 with a 2,600 stall. It didn't spool until part of the way through second gear.
I know it's hard on your valves and lot of stuff to run EGTs that hot but if you can make it for a half second or so it shouldn't hurt anything.

I am sure you could play with the timing tables to get it to lower the timing when TPS is high and MAF is low, that would do exactly what you want without having to use any timers.

Sorry to bring up a dead thread, but I just wanted to mention that WRC cars have a fifth injector solely for the purpose of injecting fuel into the exhaust manifold constantly to keep the turbo spooled all the time.

arpad said:
Sorry to bring up a dead thread, but I just wanted to mention that WRC cars have a fifth injector solely for the purpose of injecting fuel into the exhaust manifold constantly to keep the turbo spooled all the time.

i remember hearing something about that. do they also have a spark plug in the manifold with the injector? i remember hearing that they basically would shut off some cylinders to pump air thru the chamber and then light it off in the naifold, sort of an out of chamber combustion event.

There is plenty of talk about it on MRTrally web site. Austrailian guys. MoTec has that feature as an option. I think you have to pay for the software or the feature to be "unlocked". Motor shuts off spark to one cylinder and sprays fuel during exaust stroke, fresh air and fuel go padt motor, some how gets ignited, not sure on the exact order of events, but something like that. Very different from just a rev-limiter. The clutch pedal usually activates the anti-lag. I guess that if you had the throttle closed, there must be a way for more air to get thru?? Super big IAC valve that gets opened during this?This is the only way to go with a manual and a turbo during a rally, but it is not so much used at the drag strip. I just use nitrous with my manual Subaru and a turbo that is 2x too big :eek:
Works like magic.

From the moment that a rally car begins the race, it's turbo gets spooled, and stays spooled the whole time. You will hear a BOV going crazy during the turns. Even when the throttle is off, the turbo is still going full tilt. Can you say, "Hot Turbo"?
Have you ever driven a 2stroke moto-cross bike? I guess that is what the power feels like. Instant pow.