You can type here any text you want

Properly torquing a bolt ?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

ikle

When torquing a bolt to specs should the bolt be clean and dry or lightly lubricated or does it matter.

Factory bolts, factory torque specs, usually motor oil. ARP bolts, and ARP recommended torque, ARP lube. ARP recommends different specs in the bolts instruction sheet if you use motor oil.

Factory bolts, factory torque specs, usually motor oil. ARP bolts, and ARP recommended torque, ARP lube. ARP recommends different specs in the bolts instruction sheet if you use motor oil.

What I ended up doing was I lubed up the rocker shaft pedestal's with a little motor oil, wiped the bolt with a rag and torqued to stock specs. I figured what little oil got into the pedestal hole would be good enough. What do you think ? Kyle.

Rocker shaft bolts :)

Just tighten those until they feel right. With any luck you've got upgraded shafts or shaft supports.

With the stock setup you have a 'flat' clamping down a 'round' that happens to be hollow. I'm kinda amazed it works at all as you're using the rotational torque of a screw to hold down a squishy hollow tube that's full of harmonics. It's a recipe for disaster (that sometimes happens)

Last edited:
Back