pushrod length

merc

Hey guys I was just reading the july issue of GM High Tech, and was looking at the Apt Pupil story on the zr-1 corvette cam install, and in one of the pictures on page 43 the guy is compairing base circles on the stock and aftermarket cam. I was just wondering if you too the base circle of the stock cam and subtracted it from the base circle of the aftermarket cam, then divided that number by two, would you have the diffrence in pushrod length? Just seems to be an easier way than shimming rocker arms, or is there some reason you cant do that. Thanks.

Come on guys, doesnt anyone know if this would work. It would be nice to know what length pushrods you need before you put a cam in, instead of sticking it in there and finding out you need diffrent pushrods. If it works you could have your pushrods, then tear ithe car down, instead of having to wait on some new ones.

It is better to determine length after installation due to changes caused by decking the heads and block during a rebuild plus head gasket thickness variation, as well as to be sure that production tolerances are accounted for even if no decking has taken place since it left the factory..

I guess it depends if you want to get it right, or hope that you are close. :)

What if you were just swapping out cams, say you didnt like the cam that was in the car and wanted to try something diffrent, without removing the heads or a rebuild. You couldnt be off anymore than the cam you just took out right?