Putting motor back in

gnxtc2

Staff member
Is it possible to put all the assessories, turbo, alternator, brackets, injectors, dog house, etc on the motor while it's on the stand then drop it in? Planning on using a nylon web sling that goes under the manifold.

Also, could I disconnect the hood pistons and prop the hood up in a vertical position? So I don't have to align the hood, kinda working alone. Yea, don't hit the windshield, either.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

The turbocharger and the main accessory bracket can be installed on the stand. They won't interfere with the engine installation. My air conditioning compressor and power steering pump were connected to the remaining components of their respective systems. So, they were left in the car and bolted to the engine after the engine was in place. The alternator and idler pulley sit over those components, so it's better to install them last. Also, there's a good summary of engine removal/installation on the gnttype.org site.

You can raise the hood further but not completely vertical. I fabricated some supports out of alumimum angle. Red Armstrong told me this tip over 10 years ago. Works great.
"http://www.geocities.com/modeicrack/Buick/mods/Eng05.html"

I did mine bymyself also. Get your wife,friend or neighbor to help move your hood off to the side. It really is just a ten or 15 minute job.. Bolts line right up..No frickin around like hoods on 60's and 70's G.M's. Biggest problem I had was the up's and downs tops to bottom side..That's (installing the engine--NOT removing the hood) Also If I had to do it again(which I won't) I'd do it from the side not the front. The hoist seems a little short... Maybe that would be different If it were a v8. Good luck.. :biggrin:

I would definitely take off the hood, it's relatively easy and well worth it. Make sure cherry picker can reach far enough when going from front of car. I'd leave off the coil, it was hitting on the firewall, but I tried doing engine and trans together. Don't think I would try that again. Good luck.

I've never had to take the hood off. Just disconnect the struts. Cushion it against the windshield with some towels, and tie a length of rope from the latch over the car to the rear bumper to keep it from falling back down. In my case, I tied it to the rafters in my garage. Put the doghouse, etc. on before you install the motor. Turbo, too, but be aware it changes the balance a little (depending on the size of the turbo.)

I just did the same thing in my car, motor came out, and at first I thought about leaving the hood propped up, but after hitting my head on it atleast a dozen times while undoing various things, i decided to take it off and set it on the the roof..

best decision i ever made.