Pypes or Hooker

I just did the pypes on a car and it was for **** we had to cut a lot, the hangers for the tailpipes were over 1.5 inches different from side to side had to knock them off and reweld, Had to weld it all to get it to seal correctly, sounded kinda blah, cut mufflers back off and tossed them out put ultraflows on better.. not as good as the old atr stuff

There is still minimal rust on my exhaust, and it came on the car since I bought it in June of '07. Ive easily put 30,000 miles on the car since then. And the exhaust has been exposed to alot of alcohol. I drive this car everywhere, all the time. Even in the winter if the weather is good.

I just didnt like the overall fit of the Pypes exhaust. Its nice quality, sure, but just wasn't what its cracked up to be.

If I have to do another exhaust, it'll be the RJC 3" dual kit.

I have a hooker

:rolleyes:..From the sounds of it maybe the metal they are using today aren't as good as what used to be used...Ive had my hooker exhaust for over 12 years. Still looks pretty damn good to me. Yes my car has set for over long periods of time, (sometimes a year or two) when it is running it gets driven about once a week. It's been in rain, snow (damn MT,AK weather) .Sounds pretty good. I do wish it was a little meaner sounding though.

If you go to RJC web site they do have a sound clip of that single 4". Thing sounds pretty wicked. Can seriously here that turbo.

Ditto, AlaskaGN. Mine also looks overall great. When I bought my hooker exhaust about 5 years ago, they advertised it as being aluminized to help deter rust and rot. Like I mentioned, mine has some surface rust, but not bad for not driving it much. Car sits in unheated/uncooled garage most of the time. I am very happy/pleased with how it bolted up too, as everything pretty much fell into place with no mods or cutting. :smile:

I have the hooker on my GN...very easy to install...been on for 4 years now and no rust...
I bought mine at Advance Auto parts..around $350

I wonder if it's the near constant 90% humidity here in Texas that causes the premature rust? The hooker is the third cat back on this 95,000 car.

Znix said:
Why not see if you can swing some extra money and get the TR Custom Parts exhaust? It looks really nice! I hear it sounds very good too!

I had a Hooker system on my car when I bought it, and it sounded pretty nice, but wanted something stainless. I ended up with the 3" stainless system Mark sells (TR Custom Parts). I love the sound; not too loud, hardly any drone, and sounds mean when you stuff it. Being a 3" system the fit was tight near the springs but there was no cutting or drilling needed at all. I installed it with my creaky old butt crawling on the floor with the car on jack stands, worked from the rear and had it done in a couple hours. If I can do it, anyone can.

I really like the sound of the Pypes system too, and that may have been my choice if I hadn't heard stories about difficult installation.

I just installed a Pypes on my T it went on easy, I didn't use their clamps though I went with stainless band clamps

Pypes on mine. Had to trim down the tailpipes at the muffler, other than that, no issue at install. Sounds good too. Click the vid in my sig to hear it