You can type here any text you want

Q jet or ...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

cowboydan

i know i'm going to make a Big mess! i have my dip tank, and a rebuild kit. i also have enough tools to get myself into lot's of trouble. should be a fun week end. now where'd i put that 3\16 i sure hope swiss cheese works for buick!

Attachments

• edlebrock and rochester 003.JPG
    edlebrock and rochester 003.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 70
  • edlebrock and rochester 004.JPG
    edlebrock and rochester 004.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 63
  • carb rebuild 004.JPG
    carb rebuild 004.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 67
  • carb rebuild 005.JPG
    carb rebuild 005.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 56
thanks Charlie, i am not using the electolite solution, but as long as it gets clean, i'm happy.

wow did he do a nice job on that carb. he should have cleaned out the casting flash tho. over all that is a great thread.

wow did he do a nice job on that carb. he should have cleaned out the casting flash tho. over all that is a great thread.
As soon as Joe gets some free time he'll be down here to do just that Matt.:cool: We've already chated about doing a Q-jet mod thread that will be shared between the sites as well as a "How To" on porting.:D I have a feeling that it will help both sites with a better understanding of the carbs and mods you can do to make the cars more effecient power wise.;)

that is so the case for me Charlie...lo i don't understand how it worksl. i'm a professional wood worker, not a mechanic. i love cars and i'm a total diyer. but there is a circumstance that involves me not doing my own carb. i have an amazing ability to bs my way through anything. but no bs.... i don't want bs when it comes preformance. i took the one carb apart and reassembled it... twice. no manual cause it wouldn't really matter, i'm not banging a punch. the systems that i discovered are actually complex. like putting that one tiny clip in thehole infront of the coat hanger. the manual clearely states not to. but when i look at it, it needs to. mainly cause i don't understand why it's just got to dangle there. and about those inner pin jets? just how are you not supposed to bang them around while installing them? the rods for the linkage just going through to the inside to connect the choke? what is that???? yea man let's but a rod through here and hide the connection. that will impress my boss...lol putting the carb back together is possible for me. but if i fail, it becomes that much harder for me to chase where i went wrong. will it work?? i still havent identified the boost carb differences. the hilighted parts in your thread show me all but drilling that hole. both of these carbs look exactly the same to me and i still don't get it. at this point, i think i should get the carb rebuilt by a pro, and know it will work. i don't need to know everything. i got too many other things on the go. i work, i run my own buisiness, and i'm trying to get my dream car on the road. throw a couple kids in the mix...... and a wife that want's me near ALL the time1?! but because i'm me, i'm going to go back out to my thinking hut, and either the turbo carb will be in the dip by dinner, or i'm finding a pro. we'll see how far bs takes me. but if it starts and runs on the 1st try, it can still be a fluke.

the carb is in the dip. thanks Charlie. the power valve spring is rusted out and i'm not sure if the power valve is any good >.< i'll know in a few days. she is pretty mucky/ rusty. the throttle linkages are in good shape. i'm optimistic at this point. i hope the spring isn't that important. i have others, just not for a turbo carb. the needles are very different between the two. as for the holes.... both bases appear to be identical. i'll look again in the morning with fresh eyes.

Attachments

• turbo carb teardown 007.JPG
    turbo carb teardown 007.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 62
  • turbo carb teardown 008.JPG
    turbo carb teardown 008.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 57
  • turbo carb teardown 010.JPG
    turbo carb teardown 010.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 58
Follow Joe's post on rebuilding including the person he gets the parts from Cliff has been very helpful when it comes to rebuilding the Q-jets and I'm sure he's got any of the parts you might need.

Back