You can type here any text you want

question about 275/60/15 street tires

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

shocker998md

so im buying a grand national this weekend and it need tires. so i look at the tire rack and firestone indy 500s seem to take the ticket for me. im was thinking about 235s all around for 85 bucks a piece. but then saw the thread
about fat tires on stock wheels. and it got me thinking, so i looked at the price on the indys in 275/60/15 and they are 93 bucks a piece. Now the car is stock for now, so i dont want to shell out 300 bucks for the M/T drag radials from jegs, so my question is would the 275 in the firestone be a bit better then having 235s in the rear? now i know you pay for what you get, and you have to pay to play, so what idealy i would whant to do is pick up two more stock wheels and then but the M'T's on them, and when i drive the car on a trip put the firestones on it. sorry for the rambling on post, im just excited that im finnnaly getting a GN.

The size 275-60-15 is too big for a stock GN 7" wide wheel- Recommended for at least an 8" wide wheel. It will physically fit, but will look goofy. You would have to run very low air psi for the center of the tire not to look bulged out.

A 275-50-15 is approved for use on a 7" wide rim- that's what I would recommend.

John

The size 275-60-15 is too big for a stock GN 7" wide wheel- Recommended for at least an 8" wide wheel. It will physically fit, but will look goofy. You would have to run very low air psi for the center of the tire not to look bulged out.

A 275-50-15 is approved for use on a 7" wide rim- that's what I would recommend.

John

+1

However no manufacturer that I know makes a "Street" tire that size. You can get DRs that size but he doesnt want them.

245/60/15 is your best bet to retain stock height and widest footprint this side of a DR.

A 255-60-15 is approved for a 7" wheel, and has a diameter of 26.8 inches. Of course a 245-60-15 will fit- they are 26.6" in diameter.

I have 235-60-15 BFG Radial T/A's on my GN that are 26.1" in diameter- Same as the factory stock 215-65-15's.

I'm thinking about picking up a couple spare GN wheels and putting on a couple 275-50-15 drag radials for later.....

John

Wider wheels

You can do a search about different wheels, tire combinations and everyones opinions and pictures for ideas.
For me, I want to keep the original wheels, so I sent them out for refinishing and widening to 8". More tire options that way.
HTH

Even with a totally bone-stock turbo Buick, you will benefit from Drag Radials:confused:
The only negative for a DR is driving in the rain. Once you drive a TR with drag radials, you wont want to put a regular street tire on the rears again;)
(even a stock set-up)

I run 255-60-15's on 15x7" rims, they look great and fit great on a stock size rim.

Back