Question about antennas

Undercover87T

Maryland MAGNA Rep
Staff member
My car was originally optioned with a fixed antenna but the previous owner installed a universal power antenna from Antenna Works. Its too tall when extended and I would like to return the car to a factory GM antenna. I'm not really a fan of the power antenna so what would I need besides an antenna and mounting nut to go back to a stock antenna, preferably fixed? Did GM even provide wiring for a power antenna in cars not optioned with it? Thanks.

Pretty much every power antenna equipped car I have had the antenna was stuck up. Probably 80 cars out of 90. Only 2 working power antennas. And the balance being the way less common manual antenna which never seem to break

Both my turbo Regals now have a fixed antenna. The fixed antenna base has a mount on the inner fender and of course is secured through the fender with the nut you described. I got my fixed masts at a swap meet, but you could look in a junk yard for any same era G-body.

I will not go back to powered antenna as they all eventually brake the nylon tape that pushes the antenna up and down. I'd had mine in and out a number of times fixing them, and even tried a could of new ones one an NOS that broke within a week and a repop that drained the battery.

ALso, if you want a black antenna, lots of cars have them like late 80s grand ams, fbods, etc.

I pulled the antenna and motor assembly out. I use my iPhone to an alpine head unit for radio or my own songs. Sounds better and less weight. The hardware store sells a black plastic smooth cover (3/4 inch I think) that takes care of the hole in the fender where the antenna used to be.

Yes there are lots of fixed antenna's on f and g body cars but they will NOT !! mount right in a Regal. Ask me how I know? Here is the one and only one with the correct bracket that will mount right in a Regal inner fender.

Attachments

• 1847.JPG
    1847.JPG
    935.1 KB · Views: 156
  • 1849.JPG
    1849.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 145
I hate my broken power antenna.

A fixed antenna is my goal this year, I don't care what it takes. Is there a one stop place for a swap kit?

Power antennas are cool, just keep the mast lubed with WD40 every few months, or weeks. What killed 'em was salt, ice, snow from winter driving, especially when the hole was frozen and the antenna tried to go up.

Dust probably kills ours out here.

If I get one out of a regular Regal of that era it will probably be chrome though won't it?

Yes there are lots of fixed antenna's on f and g body cars but they will NOT !! mount right in a Regal. Ask me how I know? Here is the one and only one with the correct bracket that will mount right in a Regal inner fender.
I was going to call gbodyparts to ask about one. No scrap yards near me have any gbodies. Gbodyparts, Kirban, and Highways stars don't have them listed. Know where I could order one? The one on my car now extends probably 4ft in the air, I can see it clear as day through the t-top :mad:.

G body Parts Brian W. specifically got me a used mount and new antenna mast and cable for my old WE4 car.

Amazingly my power antenna in the GN still works, don't play the factory radio more than 10 times a year however. :p

Definitely not a fan of the power antenna. I had actually ordered one of the 8in shorty fixed antennas from Kirban but they are now discontinued. Nothing in the local yards here. I'll try Gbodyparts and see if Brian has one. I'll just unhook mine for the time being since I mostly use my Ipod. This antenna is rather embarrassing :rolleyes:.