Question about emissions

ZCore

Can you get any Grand National to pass emissions? What i mean is if they dont have EGR you can get them to pass right? And what about running on race gas...should you run just regular gas to get them passed? Also I know about the convertor and what not. Also if they don't pass how much is it you have to spend before they will just go on and pass it?

First off, where are you located? My GN has consistently passed emissions test since 1995. If you live in an area that has two speed idle, and an EGR functional test is used (and your EGR system is diabled), then it probably won't pass. Leaded racing fuels will pollute a catalytic converter and eventually the O2 sensor.
In Califronia, if your vehicle has tampered emissions control components, then there is no cost limit to repair and make an emission control component functional. If there are no tampers, then there is a $450 cost limit (must be spent at a licensec smog check station, employing a licensed smog check mechanic), to obtain a one time waiver (for the life of the time you own that particular vehicle). Most 87 and ealier GN and TR are test-only (requires testing at a smog check station that only performs smog test and requires the owner to go to a test and repair station for repairs if it fails). But if your test only vehicle fails, then you may be eligilble to participate in the Consumer Assistance Program (CAP) in which the State will subsidize up to $500 in emission related repairs (through CAP participating stations) for a $100 copay. If you're income eligible (annual income of less that 185% of federal poverty level), then the copay is $25.
Did I ask you what state you live in:D .

Well, I just got off the telephone (called the 800 number on the phamphlet), very nice young lady. I really like that southern accent. Anyhow back to the subject at hand. There is a visual inspection for your car. As long as all the equipment is in place your should pass that part just fine. Requires closed PCV system, Evaporative emissions cannister, EGR, O2 sensor, computerized engine controls and a three way catalytic converter. Then the emissions sample test is idle only. Your car sould pass that test fairly easily also. What kind of modifications are done to your vehicle? Including aftermarket prom, as this may be a detemining factor. The functional test is a evaporative system integrity test. I would suspect that an inert gas is pumped into the fuel tank and a pass would be to hold the pressure for a specified time period (ususally 8 inches of water for 15 seconds). So, your Evaporative cannister, purge valve and tank lines must be in good working order. It also appears that there is a $200 cost limit for repairs before a waiver could be obtained. This even applies to owner repairs.