Question about turbo "slop"

Maltman

I still have a stock turbo and just rebuilt the engine....for the second time (first cam went out after 600 miles...I love my luck)!!!

Well....I was looking the parts over and cleaning things up and noticed play in the turbo. Is this normal...and if so, how much should we see?

Turbo has about 60,000 miles on it...no rebuilds.

I spent too much money on a full roller setup to lose it on a cheesy stock turbo, so any advice would be helpful :)

Thanks,

Mark

How much play are u seeing? Most likely its time for a rebuild if there is play. Sounds like the thrust bearings are going bad.
If u want it rebuilt cost u around $150-450. Or its time to go to a biggier turbo:D

Tell me about it...I want a bigger turbo bad, but I have to wait until a collect a few more pennies.

...It doesn't show any signs of rubbing or excessive play, but I can move the exhaust side around.....and I've noticed some oil residue before, but I don't know if that was from the previous engine conditions.

What is the average lifespan on these things?

As long as your not running 18-30lbs of boost u can still get around with the turbo. When u start knocking or chiping turbine fins, this what u don't want cause it can get into your engine and mess it up to. Average span on a turbo can be from 2000miles to 150,000 miles it depends on how u drive;)