question for HOT air alky's

tenright

This may sound like a stupid newbie question, but thats ok because technically I am a stupid newbie. I have searched and researched about this and the one thing I can't seem to find is where to inject. I see posts for the up-pipe which correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't that defeat the purpose since it cools the exhaust going to the turbine? Also since "again correct me if I'm mistaken" but isn't the sole purpose of the turbine to spin the turbo? So if it is injected into the up pipe how would this in anyway reduce detonation in the cylinder? Also because of the extreme heat in the turbine isn't there a risk of well to put it mildly "Explosion"?

Next I see applications to the MAF pipe, this makes more sense since the objective is to cool the cylinder and reduce detonation, it would also as I imagine have the added effect of increasing the oxygen acting much like nitro, (only alot less damaging) but doesn't this also corrode the turbo blades? seems a bit stupid to damage a 1000+ dollar item if it's avoidable. I guess if all that I have read is making sense then the best way is to inject into the incomming air stream after the turbo. I'm guessing this would require a spacer plate with a hole for the nozzle. As you can see I am very confused about all this and before I spend $500 on this I want to know where to inject the damn thing.......

The alky injected via the up pipe on the Intercooled cars. Most HotAirs inject at the intake or somewhere after the turbo.

Ok, if thats the case then can someone with a HOT air car give me some idea how to inject it after the Turbo? perhaps there is some kind of plate or kit for this??

tenright said:
Ok, if thats the case then can someone with a HOT air car give me some idea how to inject it after the Turbo? perhaps there is some kind of plate or kit for this??
Easiest place is right into the "Cone Adapter". I can post some pics late tonight.

Just so YOU'll know I've had a 85 WH1 myself and I'm good friends with a guy who's alky injected HotAir has gone 11.90's in the past. He injects at the TB but whatever, right?

It can be done.

You can inject pre turbo (throttle body or air inlet pipe), but it must be a MIST, not droplets. Per John Craig. I have done it this way with no ill effects other than it will drop your boost a couple pounds. An easy fix with an addjustable wastegate.

My friend drilled a hole and mounted the nozzle in the turbo-to-manifold adapter. I am planning on doing mine the same way.

Drill into adapter going into intake

All you have to do is drill into your adapter that is going into your intake. Get a nitrous fan spray and you will be happy again. Tony

Tenright,

Just so you know, on the I/C cars, when they refer to putting hte nozzle in the upppipe, they mean the intercooler uppipe, not the exhaust uppipe. Putting alky into your exhaust would, as you said, cause nothing but a nice fireworks show. But they plumb their alky into the tube going from the intercooler to the doghouse on the intake manifold (sometimes also referred to as an uppipe). Hope this helps.

Here you go.
Just one example.

Attachments

• IMAG0433.JPG
    IMAG0433.JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 356
Awesome! thanks loads, do have one question for you what parts did you use to seal it like that....

Lee Thompson said:
You can inject pre turbo (throttle body or air inlet pipe), but it must be a MIST, not droplets. Per John Craig. I have done it this way with no ill effects other than it will drop your boost a couple pounds. An easy fix with an addjustable wastegate.

I inject before the turbo. No boost pressure to overcome, so I use a cheap windshield washer pump and bottle. Worked so well, I double everything up. One turns on at 2 psi, the other at 10. $40 = 1.5 seconds. :)