You can type here any text you want

Question for Nick Micale

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

strikeeagle

Nick,

Just a hypothetical on a slow day...

Let's say I pull into your shop with my 15K miles GN, and want a set of ported irons. I've got a bunch of bolt-ons, but the valve covers have never been off. You're going to sell me the parts and labor.

Bottom line, what would you recommend I do, and what would it cost???

Remember, I'm getting ported irons, I still have a rope seal, I still have the OEM timing set, I still have an unported lower intake, stock cam, stock valve springs, cast caps, etc.

Let's say the car is mostly street, just a little strip, and I want to be able to tickle 10's at the track a couple times a year.

What do you do and what does it cost me, because I'm thinking $5K or more???

Thanks.

:)

It is a great question. Especially since it is one I am in the middle of trying to decide myself.

:confused:

guys it would prolly be in your best interested to do a search on the subject. GNTTYPE.ORG is a great site for info. it will lead you in the right direction.

figure this though
minimum of
TE45
55s
ported iron
stock cam and lots of boost, insert favorite grind though.
stretch IC
ME-16 pos
pinion angle set at 4* and matching suspention odds and ends
a tranny that can handle 15 psi launches and 1.5 or better 60 ft

hope that helps a bit?

Dathan

Hey Grim,

I got the turbo, the intercooler, the injectors, the ME-16, etc.

Again, I pull in with an unopened motor and want ported irons. What else do I end up with and what does it all cost?

See, I'm thinking ported irons cost $1,200, but they're $5K or better by the time they're on, with everything else "I'd also do, if I were you."

I'd just like to know.

I'm sure Nick has been over this many times...

:)

Off the shelf port matched/bowl work heads from Nick are $700. Full blown race ported heads with bigger valves etc are about $1000. None of this includes install of course. Why not just send him an email about it, or check his website if its such a slow day?

Originally posted by c&cgn
Off the shelf port matched/bowl work heads from Nick are $700. Full blown race ported heads with bigger valves etc are about $1000. None of this includes install of course. Why not just send him an email about it, or check his website if its such a slow day?
Quit you whinin!!:D
Otto

Originally posted by strikeeagle
Nick,

Just a hypothetical on a slow day.......Bottom line, what would you recommend I do, and what would it cost???

Remember, I'm getting ported irons, I still have a rope seal, I still have the OEM timing set, I still have an unported lower intake, stock cam, stock valve springs, cast caps, etc.

Let's say the car is mostly street, just a little strip, and I want to be able to tickle 10's at the track a couple times a year.

What do you do and what does it cost me, because I'm thinking $5K or more??? Thanks. :)

Not a slow day for me, but glad to answer you.:)

If I am to assume the items Dathan mentioned are already in your possession, you would only need to bring about $3500.

Here is what would be done:

Max ported heads w/new valves
Ported intake
Power plate
212/212 ductile roller cam
Rollmaster timing set
Cometic head gaskets
Modified timing cover/oil pump
Clean oil pan, new p/u screen
Biggie oil filter adapter
Misc gaskets/supplies

This will allow you to do high 10's in our altitude which means you would run 2-3 tenths faster at sea level conditions.

You would be without your car for 2 days to accomplish this work. Another day to check it out at the local track!:D

With the other $1500 you are able to drive out and enjoy our sunny weather and great bunch of Buick enthusiasts.

Back