You can type here any text you want

Question for those who installed a Hydratech Hydroboost

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GNRick

Retired member
Can someone post pics of their hoses, specifically the one from the Power Steering pump to the hydroboost? Were the hoses custom made or do they work from the 84/85 GN? Pics of all hoses would be appreciated! Thanks!

I have a few pics from a recent install. These are custom. Not sure if 84-85 hoses would work.

Attachments

• Apr21_0005.jpg
    Apr21_0005.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 182
  • Apr21_0006.jpg
    Apr21_0006.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 162
  • Apr21_0007.jpg
    Apr21_0007.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 148
Ok I just want to make sure I have the connections right. Of the two hoses coming out of the reservoir, you "T" into the one going to the gear box, and you don't touch the other one, which appears to go to the power steering pump. Correct? Also, I can't tell how you finagled the line from the output of the power steering pump to the input of the HB. Could you take a closer pic of it sometime? I won't get to the install for a few days but if I can show the pics to the local hydraulic shop with measurements, that would be stupendous! Thanks! Also, I'll be traveling to chicago in a week so if necessary could I stop by and look at yours?

Yes, the two return lines are T'd. The ss braided are the feeds. No T's.

The line off the psp has a 90*. When the pump is mounted the 90* faces toward the passenger side. The line then comes down around the bottom of the psp and over to the wheel and up the the hbs.

Let me know when your in town. You more than welcome to stop by.

Rick

Yes, the two return lines are T'd. The ss braided are the feeds. No T's.

The line off the psp has a 90*. When the pump is mounted the 90* faces toward the passenger side. The line then comes down around the bottom of the psp and over to the wheel and up the the hbs.

Let me know when your in town. You more than welcome to stop by.

Rick
Oh, there are two "t's" ? The instructions only talk about one "T". It doesn't even mention the other line off the reservoir that goes to the PS Pump. I may be headed to the Volo show July 7. Are you sure there are two t's? I think you pm'd me your phone # once but can you give it to me again? Is the HB installed on your car or is it for a customer? Just want to know if I can look at it, maybe take notes and pics. Thanks Rick.

The 2 return lines are T'd together. Only 1 T.

The pics are from a customers car but I have the same system on mine.

708.514.757zero.

Rick

Go to the hydroboost or vacuum thread. I am on my phone or id post a link. There are pix of the 84 lines and the mod I made to mine. This was chronicled in an article I read. There is also a link to a thread on a different form I frequent with pix and some links where I got my info.

TexasT posted some very nice pictures of his install on another thread when I asked him how he got the hoses connected. You can use the lines from the 84/85 set up. Got mine from rock auto for a little more than $40 for the pair. The only "mod" is you have to bend the line that attaches to the power steering pump just a bit to get it to line up correctly. The braided lines look great and are the way to go if the budget allows...

TexasT posted some very nice pictures of his install on another thread when I asked him how he got the hoses connected. You can use the lines from the 84/85 set up. Got mine from rock auto for a little more than $40 for the pair. The only "mod" is you have to bend the line that attaches to the power steering pump just a bit to get it to line up correctly. The braided lines look great and are the way to go if the budget allows...
The fittings on the 85 lines don't screw into the Hydratech unit. Haven't tried yet to see if they screw into the power steering pump or the gear box.

I should have read the title on the thread GNRick. I was referring to the Astro van unit. Good catch!!

What does the hydratech unit come from? I wonder why they wouldn't have it use the same fittings. If you don't mind me asking how much was this unit? What made you go that direction? Just curious as the factory stuff is very reliable and easily replaced if the need arises. TIA

What does the hydratech unit come from? I wonder why they wouldn't have it use the same fittings. If you don't mind me asking how much was this unit? What made you go that direction? Just curious as the factory stuff is very reliable and easily replaced if the need arises. TIA
I think the ones sold by the parts stores are Cardone rebuilt units. I've had bad luck with Cardone and don't want to trust my brakes to them. Will be selling my Powermaster (Cardone rebuilt) if anyone is interested. The Hydratech is $540, expensive I know but it is supposed to work quite well. They package some braided hoses ($200!) with aroequip fittings. I don't know why they didn't match up the GN fittings, unless this is a G-body unit and other g-bodys use different fittings. Also, this unit has a back up vacuum reserve in case the engine or power steering pump craps out. The original 85 unit did not have this, unsure about the Astro Van unit. So with engine failure the brakes go south too. Could be overkill, but did I really need Cotton's front mount on a mid 11 sec. car?

I see. Well if you feel good about it then it is golden.
The Astro unit as well as the heavy truck units have the back up unit on the hydroboost. My suburban has one like that. Some back up is nice as when the belt gets thrown or the pulley let's go you got no power steering either. Nothing wrong with a little piece of mind.

Back