question for twin turbo guys

grass doctor

Dream Catcher
TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
what is preferred set up for twin turbos on these cars
looks like most are parallel setup
has anyone or does anyone have a sequential setup
just curious

These days, there doesn't seem to be any reason to go with a dual turbo set-up. Especially for a street/strip car. With a proper combination and tune, lag is virtually eliminated. The added cost, complexity, down time, fabrication, and the almost certain lack of money and loss of interest somewhere in the middle of the process will leave most with an unfinished project for sale.

If anyone in there right mind still insists on moving forward with this sort of thing, then the only reason for doing it will be the "cool" factor. And for it to be "cool" it means it has to look great. Otherwise, why do it at all?

And so, the best answer would seem to be a symmetrical twin turbo set-up.

Get out while you still can......As for me, I'm afraid it's too late.

We have been using the parts and technological ideas from basically the mid 90's. The packaging of symmetrical has been ideal for twin header builders like ATR , Dawson, and Hooker. We literally have all the space in the world to make anything happen. Compounding turbos has been used extremely well in the diesel world and if you would like to spearhead a Buick project you would definitely have the board's support. What's the idea, using a 67-71mm to push a 94-98mm or something along those lines?

thats what I was interested in, is a sequential (compound) set up , but ny twin turbo said there is virtually no lag with the symmetrical set up, figured the diesels run compound set up to get rid of big lag ,was wondering if it had ever been done to one of these Buick motors or if anyone ever seen that set up, if the symmetrical set up spools up quickly than if aint broke don't fix it/
maybe a 44/48mm turbo to push 94/98mm

Compound turbo set up is for big boost. First turbo will make 15 psi into the second, and 30 out of the second one if both are set for 15 psi. Compounding keeps the temps at a usable range and will add in making 80 psi easier.

I run a single 76/75 ball bearing turbo, and it has very little lag from idle at a stand still. On the trans brake or food brake, no lag. If your combo is matched than your real issue will be traction.

thats what I was interested in, is a sequential (compound) set up , but ny twin turbo said there is virtually no lag with the symmetrical set up, figured the diesels run compound set up to get rid of big lag ,was wondering if it had ever been done to one of these Buick motors or if anyone ever seen that set up, if the symmetrical set up spools up quickly than if aint broke don't fix it/
maybe a 44/48mm turbo to push 94/98mm

I sincerely apologize If my response was interpreted that I intended to discourage you from doing something innovative. This is definitely not so. We need innovative set-ups and combos to stay relevant in this new age of modern muscle cars. But sometimes it comes at the expense of the individual. And you must decide if you are that person.

But as boostingbuick has stated above, most good tunes with good combos and new parts perform much better than in the past. And most of us (maybe you too?) are not building record breaking TRs anymore. So many forum members in the past have started build threads about a twin turbo set-up. Only to leave the projects unfinished and even possibly leave the Buick world in it's entirety. In the end, it often seems that a simpler approach to performance gains would have left them in a much happier place.

I sincerely apologize If my response was interpreted that I intended to discourage you from doing something innovative. This is definitely not so. We need innovative set-ups and combos to stay relevant in this new age of modern muscle cars. But sometimes it comes at the expense of the individual. And you must decide if you are that person.

But as boostingbuick has stated above, most good tunes with good combos and new parts perform much better than in the past. And most of us (maybe you too?) are not building record breaking TRs anymore. So many forum members in the past have started build threads about a twin turbo set-up. Only to leave the projects unfinished and even possibly leave the Buick world in it's entirety. In the end, it often seems that a simpler approach to performance gains would have left them in a much happier place.
no problem your response was fine by me and did not discourage me at all thanks for the insight and concern
I understand its a big commitment and not easy hopefully I will never have to leave the Buick world if I do ,might as well take a dirt nap
we all want more boost, when my vacuum line came of my boost solenoid its like the one guy said "ooh and it hurt so good didn't it"

no problem your response was fine by me and did not discourage me at all thanks for the insight and concern
I understand its a big commitment and not easy hopefully I will never have to leave the Buick world if I do ,might as well take a dirt nap
we all want more boost, when my vacuum line came of my boost solenoid its like the one guy said "ooh and it hurt so good didn't it"
Then I'm with ya! Go for it!

Like NY Twin Turbo said, he's not trying to discourage you.....just wants you to think it all through before you start such a project. I sorta know what it's like. I did a full frame restoration and still working on it after 4 years. And whatever you think it's gonna cost.....multiply that by two. Do you have a wife and or kids? If so god bless ya! Good luck and keep us updated.

Oh, and one very important thing, choose your people who are doing the work wisely. Do a lot of research on them. I know I learned the hard way! Good luck!

no kids just wife
IMG_1561.JPG

Like NY Twin Turbo said, he's not trying to discourage you.....just wants you to think it all through before you start such a project. I sorta know what it's like. I did a full frame restoration and still working on it after 4 years. And whatever you think it's gonna cost.....multiply that by two. Do you have a wife and or kids? If so god bless ya! Good luck and keep us updated.

Oh, and one very important thing, choose your people who are doing the work wisely. Do a lot of research on them. I know I learned the hard way! Good luck!
your signature is awesome

your signature is awesome
His signature aint sh!t.

I got a filthy green 98 Chevy Prizm with two missing door handles, only 2 plastic hubcaps, and an exhaust hung up with plumbers strap that will blow the doors off his 2000 Neon!

Bring it on Chris:mad: Let's do this:mad:

His signature aint sh!t.

I got a filthy green 98 Chevy Prizm with two missing door handles, only 2 plastic hubcaps, and an exhaust hung up with plumbers strap that will blow the doors off his 2000 Neon!

Bring it on Chris:mad: Let's do this:mad:
Put your money where your mouth is.....and I know you gotta lot of cause your cruzing around in about a $150k+ GN. But fair warning I just up graded my flux capacitor so I think I'm gonna take that Prizm...

well boys I got winner
2002 Camry LE with gold package, 2nd owner, 102,000 , one crack in windshield, one ciggy burn in head liner, original paint, plastic hub caps on 15's, stock air intake sanded and cleared for optimum flow, new plugs, racing denso iridiums gapped at .44 and felpro valve cover gasket, pulls with AC on or off.

well boys I got winner
2002 Camry LE with gold package, 2nd owner, 102,000 , one crack in windshield, one ciggy burn in head liner, original paint, plastic hub caps on 15's, stock air intake sanded and cleared for optimum flow, new plugs, racing denso iridiums gapped at .44 and felpro valve cover gasket, pulls with AC on or off.

But is it garage kept.....