You can type here any text you want

Question on a 1978 Monte carlo tranny (not shifting correct)

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

fc227

1986 Grand National
Greeting everyone,

I have a question about my 1978 Monte Carlo Transmission. It is either a TH250 or 350 3 speed. (I will know more this afternoon when I get under it).

Here is the problem. When you first put it in drive it will shift though all the gears. But if you stop will only go into second gear (from first gear). Even if you put it neutral same thing no 3 gear.

But If you stop put in reverse then go back to drive it will shift all the way to 3 gear until you stop again and the it will only go into second gear (when in Drive).

So instead of every time I stop, I have to put it in reverse to get it to shift right. What do I do to fix it? Any ideas?

Thank you & God Bless.

Look's like it is a TH350 (13 bolts on the pan).

I found what looks like lint a big chunck clogging the filter.

Any ideas?

OK, what happens if you start in L?

There are several things this could be. It might be a governor bore wear problem. There are other things, but it could be a number of them.

The same thing. I change the fluid and added a can of TRAN-X. It helped allot. That and the pickup screen is now unclogged.

Back