You can type here any text you want

question on Intercooler?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

V6-Sauce

Hi, if I upgrade my stock IC to the dweller neck version would I be able to up 2 pounds of boost. I'm currently at 17 pounds with rjc boost controller, mild upgrades: 009's injectors/adjustable reg/walbro 340 FP/hotwire kit/k&n cone with 3" maf/hooker exhaust/rearseat brace kit/body bushings/ac delco r44ts spark plugs/ RJC power plate/RJC plug wires/water gauge/ boost,vacuum gauge/ stock turbo and IC/turbotweak 93-94 chip/rebuilt brand new trans way better than stock, mod stock torque convertor, that's it . I dont race. I don't have alky, or scan master for reading things.

You can add boost because of a minimal increase (and I mean minimal) in volume and flow.

That being said, I wouldn't do anything at all without a way to monitor the engine. Especially when adding boost and no way to see the leaning that will occur.
Time bomb.
Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Don't waste your money on a duttneck. Port and smooth the necks out and clean it out real good with some warm water and dawn dish soap. Hell for less than the price of that stupid neck you can make a crappy little alky injection kit with a hobbs switch and make some real gains

I would definitely get a scanmaster whether you race or not.

The Duttneck does not seem to be getting a lot of love here so far but I can tell you I found it to be a great addition on my car. Gained a solid 3lbs of boost with this mod alone. Imo, for the money its hard to beat on a stock to lightly modded car. Even if you don't have welding skills or have a buddy that can, you can always buy one already welded on off this board for cheap.

Remember though, as you increase boost you may need more octane or Alky and you're way overdue for a Scanmaster whether you race or not, as already mentioned a few times.

thx guys...I haven't been over 17 pounds, plus with rjc powerplate it's suppose to reduce knock too, which I have. I should be alright. this spring I'm getting a rebuilt new stock turbo/ and a scanmaster 2.1 from turbotweak. Makes cents a scanmaster is a good tool to see what's going on in the car.

NOTHING wrong with a Dutt neck addition!
funny how some are "experts" on everything.
I use one with great success, yes it did increase boost,
it IS a low cost improvement. but a good cooler can and will provide better
results.
and YES on a scanmaster

The only reason I say no to the duttneck is because if they aren't done right they won't fit for shit. Plus you still have an old outdated leaky core. Then two years down the road you get the mod bug and end up wanting a better intercooler anyway. I would bell mouth the openings and call it good. There's better gains to be had with a ported elbow

The guy who welded mine lined it up perfectly, so fitment was never an issue. I works much better than the stocker did...

Woe....I didn't say it doesn't work. No mod is worth the expense of losing an engine due to no way to monitor it.

I loved my slic with the dutt neck.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

The dude that welded my Duttweiller asked me for a template--I made a tracing for him showing where the inlet was, and then traced the bigger size tube onto the cardboard template. He was a welder for the military and took great pride in his work and just nailed the alignment with a beautiful bead all around...

I liked mine. Never had any problems with it. Lined up perfect. I actually went 10.97 on one so, yeah they work. Might not be the best or the newest but the old school stuff still works. Hell I went 11.32 through it on the original unopened 133k motor. I ran that thing for four years at 28-30psi and it never missed a beat.

I say go for it. Its your car and your money, your decision.

Yeah that t might make a slight difference but theres better gains elsewhere. Work with what you got. Once you turn up the boost with a bigger turbo the stock if will be the restriction

Yeah that t might make a slight difference but theres better gains elsewhere. Work with what you got. Once you turn up the boost with a bigger turbo the stock if will be the restriction

Absolutely--work with what you have. It was hard at times to keep both cars running and dropping 700 to 1000 bucks on an intercooler just wasn't in the cards. That little pee-pee entrance to the stocker always looked to me like a serious choke point, so when the deal came along on the Dut-neck, I jumped on it and was pleased with the result.

what I mean with the dellweller neck is buy it from gbodyparts.com stock with the neck welded on already and pay the core charge for better cooling, and keep the stock in the car now in the garage for later..$350 bucks plus shipping, not that it;s a bad upgrade, then looking at precision's stock location for $999,99 brand new, no rebuilds and strekched out in stock location good for 750hp:)I don't have 750hp, good for years to come, if wanting more out of IC. Me , Im thinking of scanmaster, rebuild turbo, ac delco 43rt plugs, and reading #out with scan-tool etc.....The pte IC streched out is good for someone that';s adding more power or at least with alky or bigger heads. I just wanted to know gains with the mod stock ic version with the duttweiler neck installed...I seen the # cfm difference in just that, sounds like a good thing, with one with a stocker IC.I won;t mod mine, just wanted a second bolt in advise.

Last edited:
I like the last two lines of the previous post. Get the foundation built and go from there.

Porting the stock intercooler's inlet & outlet, along with the compressor housing on the turbo; and the stock upper plenum; will yield almost the same results as the Dutt neck. Not saying the Dutt neck isnt worth it, it is. Finding someone to do the work properly is the problem. Also porting the stock exhaust elbow will help as well.

Back