You can type here any text you want

Questions about going Stage II

• Thread starter Thread starter GRAYGHOST
  • Start date Start date

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
G

GRAYGHOST

For those of you who have gone to a stage II set-up, if you had it to do over again, or looking back, what would you do different?

I have a Turbo T that I am thinking of doing stage style over the next winter.

What areas do you concentrate on more than others? Any stuff you would buy new, and other stuff you get by with used?

I plan on getting the suspension set-up thru the summer with what I have, the trans is a PMAC built, will it hold? I know I will have to bump up the converter.

I don't plan on going with anything huge, I was wanting to have it set-up for easy low 10's, then if turned up hit mid 9's. Something like what, a PT-72, 96# inj's. Definetly a F.A.S.T. system, an SX pump, is a sump tank necesary? What size AN lines to the rail?

Any info is appreciated trying to spend once on this car.....Which gives me my last question, realistically, what will I end up spending when all said and done, if I can hopefully get some deals?

To answer one question that may save you alot of time.

FIND A S2 CAR DONE ALREADY, I HAVE SEEN THEM FROM 16K UP TO 24K. YOU CANNOT BUILD ONE CHEAPER IMO.

GOOD LUCK;)

Jay Carter has a Stage car for sale in the "For Sale" area....it will probably be 1/2 the price of starting from scratch

When it's all said and done with everything you will need (Stage II motor fully built, tranny, fuel system, suspension mods, and a 9 second or faster certified cage) you will be looking at about 25 to $30K or more depending on parts used and what kind of deals you can find! This is coming from a guy that has done a LOT of research on this topic.... I'll just keep saving my pennies:D ;)

I don't plan on going with anything huge, I was wanting to have it set-up for easy low 10's, then if turned up hit mid 9's. Something like what, a PT-72,

Unless the car is very light youll be hard pressed to "turn up" a 72 to go mid 9's..............

NJ NAILED IT!

Originally posted by njturbo

FIND A S2 CAR DONE ALREADY.

In addition to the wallet-tested wisdom in NJ's ( and the successive posts) advice, you may wish to weigh the costs/benefits of using the new TA Performance block as a beginning point for your build-up. www.TAPERFORMANCE.com

(There's MUCH more info instantly on this topic available by using the SEARCH feature.)

HTH & Good Luck! :)

GO buy one done!!!

Just like alot of others have posted..... GO buy one already done!
I'm too scared to even think, much less add up, what I have in my car!!:eek: :eek:
Mine is pretty much what you say you want to do w/yours. Believe me, there's no such thing as "easy low 10's", much less, mid 9's.!:( :( BTDT.
Try $30K and see how that sits w/ the wallet.....Buy Jay Carters setup and be glad you didn't start from scratch!!

PS: the 12.25@133 is just "Moosetwang bait"..:D :D

Re: GO buy one done!!!

Originally posted by Chuck Leeper

PS: the 12.25@133 is just "Moosetwang bait"..:D :D

That's good to hear Chuck cause I was starting to think you had a Supra instead of a GN.... LOL! :D ;)

87 WE4

I bought my car back in 1994, its a 44k original mile car (i havnt put 2k miles on the car) with a stage2, i spent a minimum of 12k to build the motor, ruggles block, Precision engines (he used to build Conley's engines when he was goin mid 8's) put the motor together with M&A heads worked by Duttweiler they were on Bob Goldfiens car when he went 9.50's, Turbo People in NY put the set up together and tuned the DFI, 200R4 with the goodies and 8.5 rear with 3.72's i am running a small dinosaur of a turbo that i had on the stock motor, 60-1 from Dellasandro back in 95 to keep the motor from wreaking havoc on my tranny and rear. Looking to finish it this year with a Turbo 400 and 9 inch rear nice 70 series turbo, every year i talk myself out of it, but since i have been single im figuring it out, turns out my girlfriend kept talking me out of it. Take your time if you dont have the 16 to 20k to buy a car, build one at your own pace, you wont go broke that way, at least not all at once.....Help out the cause custom Gand National blankets http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2408645794

Here is a deal for you.

86 Stage II GN - $15,000
Northern California 86 Stage II GN, excellent exterior - 2 yr. old paint.
Clean interior with Chamberlin custom roll bar (very snug) and new headliner.
Alpine CD/radio/cassette with speakers and amp. Viper alarm system, extra gauges.
16" Star Centerlines. TH 700R4 transmission.
Stage II motor, 4.1 off center ( #25500016) - 4.02 bore, 3.66 stroke - 278 c.i., 4.5 liter.
Aluminum heads, TE 44 turbo, ATR liquid intercooler, ATR stainless headers and exhaust, 7th injector, red stripe injectors, JE pistons and rings.
140,000 miles (mostly freeway), less than 40,000 on engine rebuild. Street driven exclusively last three years, last ran 11.6, 118 at 16 lbs. on Hoosier Streets at Sears Point.
This is a powerful, beautiful GN. Pictures available - e-mail me at jrasner@attbi.com.

Originally posted by njturbo
Here is a deal for you.

86 Stage II GN - $15,000
Northern California 86 Stage II GN, excellent exterior - 2 yr. old paint.
Clean interior with Chamberlin custom roll bar (very snug) and new headliner.
Alpine CD/radio/cassette with speakers and amp. Viper alarm system, extra gauges.
16" Star Centerlines. TH 700R4 transmission.
Stage II motor, 4.1 off center ( #25500016) - 4.02 bore, 3.66 stroke - 278 c.i., 4.5 liter.
Aluminum heads, TE 44 turbo, ATR liquid intercooler, ATR stainless headers and exhaust, 7th injector, red stripe injectors, JE pistons and rings.
140,000 miles (mostly freeway), less than 40,000 on engine rebuild. Street driven exclusively last three years, last ran 11.6, 118 at 16 lbs. on Hoosier Streets at Sears Point.
This is a powerful, beautiful GN. Pictures available - e-mail me at jrasner@attbi.com.

If he's looking to go into the 10's, let alone 9's then he's got a lot more money to spend. Add in FAST at 2K, TH-400 tranny at another grand, another grand for a converter (or more depending on what you want) plus new injectors and turbo just for starters. Unless you're a welder it'll probably cost you another grand to convert from a bar to a cage plus 86'ing the rear. You are looking at over 20K (with price of the car) to get that car upgraded to safely go into the low 10's. Plus, Stage II with 40K on it, plan on a rebuild, that's $1500-$3000 conservatively depending on if there is any carnage. .020 over bore, might be some wear after 40K, who knows?

Artie,

Lets face it chicks dig guys with Stage cars, I see how the gals are always hangin out by your car at the track....You go boy!!!!

Originally posted by Buicksx2
Artie,

Lets face it chicks dig guys with Stage cars, I see how the gals are always hangin out by your car at the track....You go boy!!!!
Thanks Richie ol' boy. I'm not sure they are there to check me out, I see how the latino women look at you...

Back