You can type here any text you want

Questions on cams roller and flat tappet

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

buttonfly

The stable....
ok time to start thinking about winter projects. I need some info and advice, and questions answered.

I have always stayed away from doing a cam cuz to be honest I wasnt prepared to spend the money on a roller setup. Then the thought of a flat tappet going flat and ruining the motor just didnt seem wotrth it.

ok with going to the roller set up do the heads need to be machined?? Is it just a simple drop in, or do you have to spend time getting the geometry right (ie push rod length??) Do you have to do anything special to the front cover?? I know there has been debate about making sure you use the Morrell lifters right??

Now on to a flat tappet cam. With the itroduction of the zddp paste, I am feeling more confident with running one. The cost is obviously down, it is a true drop in. What is everyones thoughts on a flat tappet with the paste for break in?? Anyone have feedback yet??

Any advice or recomendations on what you had to do would be much apprecitated. I would like a slight idle, keep the low end I have, but maybe stretch the mid range and top end abit more. Thanx

I just am trying to plan out my funds. I want to go through the trans this winter too. 85k not so nice miles and the fact thats it 22 years old it cant hurt right! I want to change my wheels out too, anyone interested in some big n skinny draglites!! Last but not least If I can swing it get a HnR rear sway bar setup.

In my opinion..... save up and go roller..... even if you have to do the factory hyd roller conversion........it costs more... but in the long run.... is a much better setup..... zddp paste.... GM EOS....... diesel oil......it doesn't matter.....it will likely give trouble at some point. We aren't the only breed of hotrod going through the same issues...... the chevy and ford guys are having the same problems.....

IMHO..... if you don't have the $$ to go roller right now.... and the car is running fine....... don't do a cam swap....... save for the roller.... and do it right.... the first time..... you won't be sorry.

In my opinion..... save up and go roller..... even if you have to do the factory hyd roller conversion........it costs more... but in the long run.... is a much better setup..... zddp paste.... GM EOS....... diesel oil......it doesn't matter.....it will likely give trouble at some point. We aren't the only breed of hotrod going through the same issues...... the chevy and ford guys are having the same problems.....

IMHO..... if you don't have the $$ to go roller right now.... and the car is running fine....... don't do a cam swap....... save for the roller.... and do it right.... the first time..... you won't be sorry.

So blazer we meet again! lol how you been?? Hydroboost still been going good for you?? Bob's rare 6 and I did another one last weekend. Down to a science. We can bust one out in just a 3 hours start to finish. Loving it

ok on to the cam question, thats fine and I understand that, but I guess what all do you have to do when installing a roller set up?? Like front cover, pushrod length?? Is it pretty straight forward???

Good to hear from ya!

So blazer we meet again! lol how you been?? Hydroboost still been going good for you?? Bob's rare 6 and I did another one last weekend. Down to a science. We can bust one out in just a 3 hours start to finish. Loving it

ok on to the cam question, thats fine and I understand that, but I guess what all do you have to do when installing a roller set up?? Like front cover, pushrod length?? Is it pretty straight forward???

Good to hear from ya!

If you go with one of the cams from from full throttle.... you can get their shimmable roller button to go on the front of the cam....then lifters....pushrods....and valve springs. If you are running stock rockers....you might not can order pushrods until you mock it all up and actually measure what you need. I have adjustable T&D's which give you some room to not have to be spot on with the pushrod length...

OT but... I have been doing other stuff... 6 year old boy.....family stuff mostly......and am just now getting my motor back together.... looking to re-install it this weekend. Maybe drive it again next week. I do love hydroboost brakes though....good to hear from you....

Back on topic.....

If you go with one of the cams from from full throttle.... you can get their shimmable roller button to go on the front of the cam....then lifters....pushrods....and valve springs. If you are running stock rockers....you might not can order pushrods until you mock it all up and actually measure what you need. I have adjustable T&D's which give you some room to not have to be spot on with the pushrod length...

OT but... I have been doing other stuff... 6 year old boy.....family stuff mostly......and am just now getting my motor back together.... looking to re-install it this weekend. Maybe drive it again next week. I do love hydroboost brakes though....good to hear from you....

Back on topic.....

OK so that helps me already understand a little bit better. Do you have do anything to heads to run a roller?? I plan on running the stock rockers. That answers my question on the front cover.

OK so that helps me already understand a little bit better. Do you have do anything to heads to run a roller?? I plan on running the stock rockers. That answers my question on the front cover.

Just different springs.... most hyd rollers need 130# minimum on the seat..... Comp 980's won't cut the mustard.... once all setup....the pushrod length is critical on a non-adjustable valvetrain....so get them checked..... and order the right length.... and you should be all set....

Back