You can type here any text you want

Raced my Buds GN

• Thread starter Thread starter 89StrimStang
  • Start date Start date

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

89StrimStang

Well, This is my first post on this board...

First off, I love GN's.

I just broke the stang in, and my friend john wanted to race.. he has the GN..

His mods are..(from what he told me)

40's series turbo...(Not sure which one)
stretch intercooler
JE internals
alluminum heads
and built tranny..

he was running on race fuel, and a different chip.. (not sure which one..)

all in all it was a very good race.. i edged him out all three times...about 2 to 3 cars from a roll, and about 5 from a stop..

just curious??? how do you guys get all that power from the 6... I know his car is fast and went mid 11's at ATCO... (very impressed with his car)

some

Alright I'll bite.

Good kill. Stang sounds real strong. Being that I used to run a 5.0 what are your other mods/times? What engine management system/software you running? Some guys slap on a supercharger and go. No attention to detail i.e. tuning and wonder why they lose races.

Buick guys are a tough bunch. I wonder who lost?

What engine management system/software you running? Some guys slap on a supercharger and go. No attention to detail i.e. tuning and wonder why they lose races.

No FMU, running 42lb inj., and a custom chip.. runs strong, but needs more tuning....

it's alot fun, and a big learning curve to tune it... both runnning DR's i was runnning 275/50/15.... i launched at of the whole pretty hard...

Nice kill

Your buddy either has a TE-44 turbo or a TA-49 which are both great little street/strip turbos that are capable of low 11's to high 10's and spool up fast. From the other mods you listed I'd guess the GN is capable of running low 11's or possibly a high a 10 with a good launch and about 20-24lbs of boost, so you definately have a strong running Stang. If he was running race fuel he was most likely running a race chip. As far as your question, "how do we get all this power from the 6?", it's pretty simple to explain and matter of fact I can explain it in one word..... BOOST!!!:D If you check out some of the guys sigs on this board you will find that there are a LOT of guys running 11's and 10's and also several guys running 9's and 8's with Stage II Buick V6 motors. The great part about these cars compared to most cars is how easy and cheap it is to run 11's without nitrous (about $1,500). A lot of guys run 11's with just bolt-ons and stock motors (some have even run 10's with the stock motors). If you want check out www.gnttype.org to find out more info on our cars, but I'm sure you'll be able to find all the info you'll ever want to know on this BB. BTW, I want to hear more about the Stang also cause from reading your kill story it sounds like you have a solid 10 second car :)

86brick

Its a 306 motor with TFS heads, TFS track heat intake, and TFS stage 1 cam, 1.6 rockers. I see about 8-10# on the blower, 3:27 gears, and alot of tuning.... but it hooks really good..

i should have some times in a few weeks or so...im hoping for some solid high 10's...but shooting for 11's@12x's

later

Originally posted by cool 84
BS. Here's a hotair with turbo lag from hell killing an S-trim stang. http://bsr.abcomet.com/052601/6.wmv

There's no way an intercooled GN could lose. J/K Good kill. Do you know if the GN was on racegas or pumpgas?

he was on race, i was on pump fuel...it was a very good race, and alot of fun

no car in the world is unbeatable...just depends on how much more money and parts you have invested over the other guy usually...nice kill and sounds like a good running stang...mustangs sure are fun cars to build up i'll tell you that...

Fhwwwwooo!!

My heart lifted after I read this post. Seems we found a cool stang guy, we don't get much of them.

Just like the others have said your cars seems real strong, have any pics?

Originally posted by 89StrimStang
No FMU, running 42lb inj., and a custom chip.. runs strong, but needs more tuning....
How can you run without an aftermarket FMU? I would think you'd need one to raise the FP while boosting, because n/a cars were designed without 'boosting' in mind, so they don't have it programmed into them that they need to raise 1psi with each psi from your Vortech.
Good kill.

89StrimStang - "TFS heads, TFS track heat intake, and TFS stage 1 cam" no mixing and matching of parts :) smart. Did you make any runs without the blower? or is it a ground-up blower motor? If you don't mind me asking who burnt the chip?

Re: 86brick

Originally posted by 89StrimStang
Its a 306 motor with TFS heads, TFS track heat intake, and TFS stage 1 cam, 1.6 rockers. I see about 8-10# on the blower, 3:27 gears, and alot of tuning.... but it hooks really good..

i should have some times in a few weeks or so...im hoping for some solid high 10's...but shooting for 11's@12x's

later

Think we could have your friends side of the story?:rolleyes: Inquirying minds like to hear both sides of the story. I have a friend building a similar build up to yours, and I expect well will race after it is built. Previously, with just his 306, free mods, and gears, It was not even close.

Shoebox

Hey I am the friend building the set up you have, except I have the f-cam, It was taking too long for the stage 1 cam. I will be all motor for a little bit till I get the blower. How much was your chip? Also Do you post on the corral.net? Or any where else? If you have aol let me know your S/N So I can ask some quick questions, I am doing the motor this weekend.
Thanks

How can you run without an aftermarket FMU? I would think you'd need one to raise the FP while boosting, because n/a cars were designed without 'boosting' in mind, so they don't have it programmed into them that they need to raise 1psi with each psi from your Vortech.

It is possible with properly-sized injectors and a properly calibrated blow-through meter. If you don't have the blow-through meter, then it is still easily done with a custom chip, as he stated.

For reference....I had an Incon Twin Turbo kit on my 88 Coupe a few years ago. The kit came with 36# injectors, 255 lph pump, and a blow-thru mass air tube w/meter. No FMU. No timing retard. No chip. Stock fuel lines, stock rails. Ported stock heads/intake, mild cam, 100% stock shortblock. 460 RWHP w/8 lbs of boost on 93 pump gas.

The key is the setup, and really, an FMU is just a band-aid....a good, popular band-aid, but that's all it is.

Inquirying minds like to hear both sides of the story. I have a friend building a similar build up to yours, and I expect well will race after it is built. Previously, with just his 306, free mods, and gears, It was not even close.

They guy has a supercharger. There are plenty of mid-high 10 second blown 302-311 cid Mustangs running around the street - even with pump gas. There are also a TON of variables that aren't even mentioned....weight is just one.

Mustangs beat GN's on occasion...I know it doesn't happen very often on this Forum (understandable) or perhaps in Florida, but it does happen.

Yea I don't need an FMU because I have such large injectors, and a custom chip. The chip was done at the local speed shop by me. It was a dyno tune with chip. Never ran the car with just motor, I put the whole thing together at once. Shoebox, I am trying to get my friend john to come in here but he is not much of a computer guy ( 48 years old and is still scared of computers )

Inquirying minds like to hear both sides of the story. I have a friend building a similar build up to yours, and I expect well will race after it is built. Previously, with just his 306, free mods, and gears, It was not even close.

They guy has a supercharger. There are plenty of mid-high 10 second blown 302-311 cid Mustangs running around the street - even with pump gas. There are also a TON of variables that aren't even mentioned....weight is just one.

Bob,

Thanks for helping me out there... my car is very light, and like you said it is possible to beat a GN...

Shoebox,

Your friend should have a pretty quick set-up.. almost exact to mine..

fastfed,

I too waited a while for my cam, but it was worth it.. i was gonna go with the F cam, but i wanted to go full TFS...the F cam is a great cam too.. I emailed you the response to your questions...

Thanks for the positive feedback

Bob Cosby
- "I had an Incon Twin Turbo kit on my 88 Coupe a few years ago" What is your current setup on your coupe?

- "There are plenty of mid-high 10 second blown 302-311 cid Mustangs running around the street - even with pump gas." Back when I was at Earle Weap Sta, NJ I used to go to E-town on a Fridays for Street Nite. This one nite I sat next to a 5.0, while waiting to pay to go in, this same guy was running High 10's. Also seen Nitrous Pete lose it mid track, almost goes into the wall then gets it together and still pulls off a 10.XX.

Good info on your site. Nice to see a Navy guy getting it done on the strip. Fair winds and calm seas.

momau3....it currently sits beside my house awaiting the installation of a new drivetrain. It will be a class-racer very soon...NMRA Factory Stock.

Tks for the props...I appreciate it. Site needs updating, though. :)

Originally posted by Bob Cosby

Mustangs beat GN's on occasion...I know it doesn't happen very often on this Forum (understandable) or perhaps in Florida, but it does happen.

Not questioning the kill happened, just wanted to size up the GN's complete build-up for comparison purposes to mine or other on the board.

Bob your sarcasism is dripping through my monitor.:D ;)

89Strim-sounds like you have a solid running car, and as stated by fastfed, his combo will be similar to yours, so i should get to see how it performs first hand, although i believe he will be running a 3.73 gear unlike your 3.27 gear.

Shoebox

Originally posted by blackshoebox

Not questioning the kill happened, just wanted to size up the GN's complete build-up for comparison purposes to mine or other on the board.

Bob your sarcasism is dripping through my monitor.:D ;)

89Strim-sounds like you have a solid running car, and as stated by fastfed, his combo will be similar to yours, so i should get to see how it performs first hand, although i believe he will be running a 3.73 gear unlike your 3.27 gear.

Shoebox

fastfeds' car should run really strong.. if it's tuned properly... he should be putting out HP # very close to mine, so it could go either way.. do you have any times ????

i dynoed 458 to the wheels

Back