RACK N PINION

J-B Racing

Forced Induction
Hi
Has anyone done the switch and what did it take to do it?
Is it worth it in weight and cost to convert??

Thanks!

WOW! Not a giveaway! I was looking more for weight saving since I want to replace all the direction. The Steering shaft I did years ago. It's mostly a Race car now than a street car.
Thanks for info!

Joe

WOW! Not a giveaway! I was looking more for weight saving since I want to replace all the direction. The Steering shaft I did years ago. It's mostly a Race car now than a street car.
Thanks for info!

Joe

Yeah, I don't think it'll save any weight. If that's the goal, I'd head to Turn One and see if they've got a schmancy lightweight NASCAR steering box on the shelf.

I installed r&p on my Skyhawk, would I do it again, maybe,
ALL r&p are of ford design, (unless you use a GM one) and there lies the problem.
gm pwr stg pump puts out 1200- 1400 psi.
r&p only use 700 psi,
to properly reduce a gm pump to 700 psi, with out reducing flow, is the trick,
leaving it at 1300psi, and squirrely is an understatement!
I almost lost control many times (at 60mph) from way to sensitive steering, (twitchy)
increased caster ,toe in, all helped, but reducing the pressure,
solved the problem!

When we converted my car to rack and pinion from a stock setup I documented a 45lb weight savings. This was also going to A/C delete and Pwr Steering delete Champion bracket setup.

I had also gone to a Strange front brake setup which saved 22lbs. I have TRZ tubular upper and lower control arms too but don’t have numbers for any weight savings there.

Pacecarta did the install and may have useful info. I used a kit similar to the TRZ one:
https://www.trzmotorsports.com/product/manual-rack-and-pinion-conversion-kit/

I have more weight savings info on the following thread:
https://www.turbobuick.com/threads/weight-reduction-list.105295/

See attached pics. Also know I removed about 8 more lbs after that last weight but that was the lowest I ever weighed it.

A5388A3C-4A0B-4414-8790-05239EBD3B1F.jpeg6BFC121A-B658-416F-80C1-0905391172AE.jpegFB1A0380-AC96-4E73-AB08-9918B58C01C3.jpeg

Hi
Has anyone done the switch and what did it take to do it?

Thanks!
Was looking into it a few years ago and since I still drive mine on the street I didn't think I would have liked the reduced turning radius.
AG.

Well I decided to just replace all the stock with new Moog. Still have the original rods and BJ so new will do it well.

Was looking into it a few years ago and since I still drive mine on the street I didn't think I would have liked the reduced turning radius.
AG.
they are not fun if you enjoy the ease of driving the stock stuff.

depends if your going for the lighest possible setup as ever little thing will add up if you take enough out.i dont care for the way they drive but when its fast i will drive anything;)