radiator question...need an answer ASAP...

peterkin

..it isn't rocket science
i put my radiator back in yesterday and noticed that the temps were pretty high once i reinstalled it. i just talked to a guy here at work and he said," DID YOU BLEED THE AIR OUT?":confused: :confused: :eek:
do we have to do this with our cars. to be completely honest, all i did was put the radiator back in and fill it up. didn't put the cap back on, fired the car up until the thermostat opened and closed enough to get the fluid level right where i wanted it. could this be my problem.
he said that an air bubble could get in there and sit and water goes around it and it just heats up, and it could warp a head or something. i hate to ask this but did i do something wrong.

I have never encountered the elusive air bubble on the 10 or so cars I have ever owned. I fill them about the same way you did.

Not saying it can't happen but to me it's an Urban Legend. ;)

If the water flows through the thing and the block it will all level out.

I assume you filled the reservoir too?

no, i didn't fill the resevoir. :confused: :confused:

i put some fluid in there last night after i drove it and came back out to check the level in the radiator later. i filled the radiator with a tiny bit of fluid, and put the rest in the resevoir.

had a crack in the neck...i got kicked off the track at MIR for a leak so i got it fixed before this weekend.

the problem was that it didn't burp, i took the car out during lunch and it didn't go above 183 i think...it ran fine, so my problem is gone...

anytime you drain the coolant take a wrench and loosen the fitting on the intake for the heater hose while you fill it till coolant runs out then you wont have much burping left to do.