You can type here any text you want

radiator recommendations

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

stangkillergn

needed to get a radiator for the 87gn

i wanted something that was a bolt-in without requiring modifications to the car

any suggestions?

Alradco.com -- as most of the recent radiator questions were answered.

F-Body... Cheap and works really Good. I Live in florida and with dual fans and the F-body radiator and 160 thermostat i never have had my car go over 180 in the hottest day in traffic..

ALRADCO. It is the best exact replacement.

The f-bodies have been known to crack, kind of common. I may be wrong but I don't think the f-body has both of the coolers in it.

ALRADCO. It is the best exact replacement.

The f-bodies have been known to crack, kind of common. I mAutoZonewrong but I don't think the f-body has both of the coolers in it.
You are correct..only has ports for one cooler. BUT..the fbody plastic/alum. Construction saves several lbs off the front. They run $90 at my local Autozone and oreilly.

Alradco is the best of two options if you want both coolers. The reason I say it is the best is because it has two rows of 1" wide cooling tubes. Most people who sell radiators don't offer this information. They will tell you that their radiator has three or four rows of cooling tubes which isn't the whole story. The question to ask is "How wide are the tubes?" If you have four rows of tubes and the tubes are 3/8" wide,you have a total tube width of 1.5". The problem with this design is that there are empty /non cooling spaces between the tubes. These spaces disturb the flow of air as it passes through the cooling fins which lowers efficiency. The other problem with this design is that these spaces add to the total thickness of the core and don't add to the cooling effect. The radiator would cool better if it had one row of 1.5" wide tubes. The core would be thinner which means the air would heat up less as it passes through the cooling fins because the time it spends in the hot environment would be less. The other reason one row of 1.5" wide tubes would work better is because there would be uninterrupted contact of the fins and tubes through the whole thickness of the core. Most radiators,in production cars have one row of 1" wide tubes and this is why.

The best cooling radiators are aluminum and have one row of 2" wide cooling tubes. The only way to get one of these is to custom order it for $1,000.00.
Our only realistic option is the Alradco if you must have both coolers. $450.00 - $550.00
If you don't care that your radiator doesn't have an oil cooler,you have another choice for two 1" rows. $200.00
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-HD-Aluminum-Radiator-1978-1988-Monte-Carlo-G-Body-NO-3-ROW-GIMMICKS-/321274514508?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make:Buick|Submodel:Grand National&hash=item4acd740c4c&vxp=mtr
This radiator is 20.75" wide. Our radiators are26.25" wide. To get the correct radiator,call these people and order part # 6162S.

Last edited:
Alradco is the best of two options if you want both coolers. The reason I say it is the best is because it has two rows of 1" wide cooling tubes. Most people who sell radiators don't offer this information. They will tell you that their radiator has three or four rows of cooling tubes which isn't the whole story. The question to ask is "How wide are the tubes?" If you have four rows of tubes and the tubes are 3/8" wide,you have a total tube width of 1.5". The problem with this design is that there are empty /non cooling spaces between the tubes. These spaces disturb the flow of air as it passes through the cooling fins which lowers efficiency. The other problem with this design is that these spaces add to the total thickness of the core and don't add to the cooling effect. The radiator would cool better if it had one row of 1.5" wide tubes. The core would be thinner which means the air would heat up less as it passes through the cooling fins because the time it spends in the hot environment would be less. The other reason one row of 1.5" wide tubes would work better is because there would be uninterrupted contact of the fins and tubes through the whole thickness of the core. Most radiators,in production cars have one row of 1" wide tubes and this is why.

The best cooling radiators are aluminum and have one row of 2" wide cooling tubes. The only way to get one of these is to custom order it for $1,000.00.
Our only realistic option is the Alradco if you must have both coolers. $450.00 - $550.00
If you don't care that your radiator doesn't have an oil cooler,you have another choice for two 1" rows. $200.00
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-HD-Aluminum-Radiator-1978-1988-Monte-Carlo-G-Body-NO-3-ROW-GIMMICKS-/321274514508?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make:Buick|Submodel:Grand National&hash=item4acd740c4c&vxp=mtr
This radiator is 20.75" wide. Our radiators are26.25" wide. To get the correct radiator,call these people and order part # 6162S.
Thats great info, and one of the main reaso

Thanks for the positive feedback everyone, appreciate it!
Peter

Back