Radiator support - powder coat or paint?

TR Custom Parts

Mark Hueffman - Owner
While motor is out I am totally taking the front end down to bare frame rails. Not sure on the radiator support and inner fenders, should I paint them or powder coat? Oh my poor GN has never looked this bad!

Got a guy right near Canton Racing where I get my oil filters from, next town over. Going to pick up my intake, accessory bracket, headers and downpipe from him. If everything came out great then maybe will give him some more business. Semi-gloss on that stuff? Prep should be a breeze, not a spec of rust.

I definitely recommend powder.... I know a guy in this post that powder coated my engine and did a damn good job.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

definitely powder coat. that thing takes a lot of abuse and will chip far less with power. make sure u specify how u want it to look. some things are flat black others are gloss

Last edited:
I would paint and I just happen to have a really good color cocktail for that application that won't get chalky or gloss up to much when polished. Plus if there are any small dents and unwanted holes on the topside they can be fixed prior to paint. If you are running your external filter mounted to the support you may want to consider welding a plate to stiffen the area. Also good time to open up the driver side filter pass through.

whatever you decide, I would do the metal inner fenders the same way to match.
AG.

Last edited:
I know this wasn't an option ... but Scott at GNS has the carbon fiber support.....that would look trick ..

I've powder coated a few of them and always had them done in gloss black. It makes it pop more. The aluminum core support I got I had it blasted and painted it myself. Don't forget about the new bushings while you have it out.

im actually in the middle of the same process, just got mine out wednesday night. im going powder for sure... probably black semi-gloss. what color are you going with?

While motor is out I am totally taking the front end down to bare frame rails. Not sure on the radiator support and inner fenders, should I paint them or powder coat? Oh my poor GN has never looked this bad!

What is the "inner fender?" Pictures please if you can.

What is the "inner fender?" Pictures please if you can.
This is a right side inner fender.
Screenshot_2015-01-16-18-27-56.png

Mark, the two question no one ever ask is, what type of powder and what pretreatment do the parts get. These are the thing that determine longevity. Coaters will use a color u want if they have it, and not be appropriate for the application long term.