Raleigh NC. Car shows, racing ?

twinvipers

I am considering moving to the Raleigh area and was wondering how the car scene is there.

Car shows,get togethers and 1/4 mile tracks around ?

Why Raleigh?? Are you considering other locations?? Rockingham dragway is about 2 hours from you. Not sure about car shows, our group of guys is about 2hrs west. Move down here and we can see about the # of GNX's by state ratio!! LOL
:biggrin:

very few 1/4 mile tracks, most tracks are IHRA 1/8 mile. Rockingham crappy track prep, about 2 1/2 hrs away. Darlington "closed", I believe there is one around Wilmington but I haven't been there. Bristol 3 1/2 hrs awsome track but about 3 1/2 hrs from Raliegh area (only 2 1/2 for me though). as for gettogethers we (meaning NC people) try to get together every few months.

1/4 next to house

Well not next to but about 5 miles away, i never thought much about it not being there. I kinda figured everyone has access to the 1/4 mile tracks. Boy was I wrong.
DAve

Usually in March and November at the State Fairgrounds there is a show/swap meet, but the last time I went it was attack of the rice-a-roni brigade. The major one is the Charlotte Auto Fair at the speedway (April and October:again 2-2 1/2 hours from here). As far as "cruise night" starting in spring there is a grille just south-east of Raleigh that holds a cruise-in once a month. Gary Mitchell ("blackcar") can give you more details on that You may also drop a line to Cheryl ("NCtyphoon") for info on autofair, we have organized somewhat and she is spearheading an effort to get us our own show space down there.

I live off of Capital blvd which is towards the top of the belt line. Fayetteville is only about an 1hr and 10 min from my house which is a 1/4 mile track. Its a nice track and way better that Rockingham in my opinion. They offer a couple of test and tunes during the week. As well as there freaky friday event on the 1st of the month. I believe they went back to NHRA from IHRA but can't swear by it. Steve

Looking forward to the move. Coming down in a few weeks to buy a house and look for dealers to buy cars from(I'm in the wholesale business).

I have been to the Cruise In south of Raleigh. It is at a restaurant called "Grill 57" (Grill 57). I only went to it once. It was pretty small, but the cars were decent. When I first moved here I went to a place called "Wake Forest Classic Cars" (Wake Forest Classic Cars )in Wake Forest, NC and the owner told me about 3-4 Cruise Ins that happen every month.

brn agn said:
I have been to the Cruise In south of Raleigh. It is at a restaurant called "Grill 57" (Grill 57). I only went to it once. It was pretty small, but the cars were decent. When I first moved here I went to a place called "Wake Forest Classic Cars" (Wake Forest Classic Cars )in Wake Forest, NC and the owner told me about 3-4 Cruise Ins that happen every month.

Thanks for the info...

twinvipers said:
Looking forward to the move. Coming down in a few weeks to buy a house and look for dealers to buy cars from(I'm in the wholesale business).

There are 2 GNX's on Ebay, are you trying to aquire those as well?? They look like very nice cars.

There is a wholesale auction on Capital called Capital auto auction. It is run by the Leith dealerships. Then there is sidisco's (sp?) in Clayton were the insurance company's sell there cars which are mostly wrecks if you do any collision work. Also Carmax has there own auction on site. I know there are a couple more but I can't recall the names off the top of my head. I'll let you know when I think of them. That should give you a few places to start.

Fasstcars said:
There is a wholesale auction on Capital called Capital auto auction. It is run by the Leith dealerships. Then there is sidisco's (sp?) in Clayton were the insurance company's sell there cars which are mostly wrecks if you do any collision work. Also Carmax has there own auction on site. I know there are a couple more but I can't recall the names off the top of my head. I'll let you know when I think of them. That should give you a few places to start.

Thanks

that definitely helps...

Out of curiousity

Are you interested in buying from public auctions, or dealer auctions like Darlington.
Are you interested in buying wholesale from new car dealers(trade-ins) or doing wholesale-to-wholesale?

Just trying to figure out what you are interested in so i know who to ask.

I know many people in the southeast part--(Wilmington area)---not much in the RDU area---but i am sure they can give me some ideas.

Geoff

PS---i WANT your TA so bad--i can't even look at thread anymore----i am scared i will blurt out--"I will be there this weekend"

ghall said:
Out of curiousity

Are you interested in buying from public auctions, or dealer auctions like Darlington.
Are you interested in buying wholesale from new car dealers(trade-ins) or doing wholesale-to-wholesale?

Just trying to figure out what you are interested in so i know who to ask.

I know many people in the southeast part--(Wilmington area)---not much in the RDU area---but i am sure they can give me some ideas.

Geoff

PS---i WANT your TA so bad--i can't even look at thread anymore----i am scared i will blurt out--"I will be there this weekend"

I am looking to use my NY license(until I get my NC license) and buy cars from dealers and dealer auctions. I own a car dealership up here, but don't want to do retail anymore. I buy cars from 100.00 to 100,000.00. Again, thanks for the help.

P.S. which T/A ?

twinvipers said:
I am looking to use my NY license(until I get my NC license) and buy cars from dealers and dealer auctions. I own a car dealership up here, but don't want to do retail anymore. I buy cars from 100.00 to 100,000.00. Again, thanks for the help.

P.S. which T/A ?

I will do some asking around and get back to you in a PM.

I am talking about the TTA---killin me.

Geoff