You can type here any text you want

Rattle On Start Up (maybe Rockers)

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

esm

Is A Rattle On Start Up Normal -- Pos From Rockers Area ---
Also Sound Like A Slight Rattle When Idling --- Oil Pressure Is Fine And Runs Like A Mofo ----

Got the same thing. I was just guessing that I am low on oil, quantity wise. It is due for an oil change so I may try a tad bit thicker type. Maybe the lifters are bleeding down???

And I get a "rattle", which only lasts a second or two at a cold startup, or even after sitting maybe 30 minutes. It almost sounds like a bearing knock, but goes away quickly then does not seem come back.
I am going to have an oil analysis done and see what's in my oil.. hopefully no bearing material.
I am still relatively new to these cars, is this just a normal thing with the LC2 engines?

I Heard It Is Normal On Start Up But I Was Worried Cause It Loud And Does Go Away -- Happy To Hear There Are Others Out There With Same Problem --- But I Think I May Have Some Noise When Running

Does your oil filter have a anti drainback valve or are you heaven forbid using a fram filter?

Delco Filter ---- Was Planing On Changing Oil To Mobile 1 And Using Another Delco Filter

What is the recommended filter? AC? Not too sure of the one in my car, but ready to change it soon anyway to put synthetic in it.

I have a rattle at 150* -160* then goes away I hope it's nothing major? You migh want ( maybe you did already)t to read up about using Mobile 1 synthetic kind of a waist of money

Lifters possibly bleeding down while the car sits not running. Causing a slight rattle at start-up, but goes away with oil pressure/volume.

K.

Lifters possibly bleeding down while the car sits not running. Causing a slight rattle at start-up, but goes away with oil pressure/volume.

K.

X2 and also I switched from AC oil filter to a NAPA gold oil filter, seems to have helped with the slight start up rattle.

check torque convertor bolts to make sure their tight.mine did that before,but only on start up

I have the same rattle as well...mine registers on my knock gauge!!:eek: I had a cheap oil filter on it originally (fresh rebuild)....no rattle. Last oil change, I put an AC delco PF47 on and now I have this cold start-up rattle....is there a connection??

Delco does source their filters from multiple places and there are some knock offs out there. If the antidrainback valve isn't working. you'll get the rattle.

What's the Oil pressure gauge doing during this time.

kirban 2 cents worth

I agree with the above and anti drain back feature is a must, however if you are using sm oil regardless of a flat tappet set up or roller set up be sure to add zddplus which contains the necessary amounts of zddp a proven lubricant for 60 plus years. It may not quiet it completely at start up but will surely reduce it.

Remember when your car was new SF oil had about 1800 ppm of ZDDP and todays oils have between 600-800 ppm.

Product is available from most vendors on this forum.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

kirban 2 cents worth

I agree with the above and anti drain back feature is a must, however if you are using sm oil regardless of a flat tappet set up or roller set up be sure to add zddplus which contains the necessary amounts of zddp a proven lubricant for 60 plus years. It may not quiet it completely at start up but will surely reduce it.

Remember when your car was new SF oil had about 1800 ppm of ZDDP and todays oils have between 600-800 ppm.

Product is available from most vendors on this forum.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

OK I'll bite, How will ZDDP plus reduce a lifter rattle on startup.

OK I'll bite, How will ZDDP plus reduce a lifter rattle on startup.

kirban 2 cents worth

send me pm with your address will mail you all the tech info on it. ZDDPlus is a lubricant which will protect the extreme pressure points and helps in roller set ups by reducing scuffing and the needle bearings etc.

We have a testamonial from a performance engine shop that builds 1,000 hp engines and tears them down and has seen the results first hand.

I know on flat tappet set ups on cold mornings it has eliminated the lifter ticking I experienced in some of my cars.

Put another way, based on zddp being a lubricant, if you now are using oil that has the SM stamp container on it you only have 600-800 ppm of zddp. When your car was new oil had between 1600-1800 ppm the sf oil. SF will be noted on your visor decal.

Will it remove your rattle? It may not however, it will provide the proper lubrication when added to your sm oil conventional or synthetic.

I even have a testamonial from Dove Manufacturing that is the largest manufacturer of aluminum roller rockers in the US.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Our website may be down but if not you can go to kirbanperformance.com click on the bottle of zddplus and all the tech briefs should be there to see otherwise send me a pm and I will mail you all the data etc....my point being you want to give your oil every advantage possible to avoid wear issues down the road.

Kenny Duttweiler even added it to the Gallina/Freeman race car that pumps out 1,700 plus hp at the GS Nats. I don't think he would have done this if he had any issues with the product.

Got the same thing. I was just guessing that I am low on oil, quantity wise. It is due for an oil change so I may try a tad bit thicker type. Maybe the lifters are bleeding down???

Even if you were over three quarts low it would not make a difference because the pick up would still be in the oil.

Also, on start up the oil is thicker then it needs to be and a lower first number will flow better on start up. The second number is your operating temp "thickness".

It is not normal to have knock on start up.

Back