You can type here any text you want

Re-torque on 9441s and Studs?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Then the the gasket is damaged or isn't clamped down properly in that area
The gasket was untouched...didnt even seperate(graphite stick to block and head) when I pulled the head off...I did not check the torque before I pulled it...I wish I did.
Im kinda thinking it was a clamping issue.I will probably try these again with copper coat and a retorque when I go back together.

You better check the fasteners in the corners. You might need to double washer

so I got the other side but before I did I tried to torque them...90 foot pounds and no movement.
This side was not leaking oil but looks the same as the other that was.

What Bison is saying is the 2 midlength head studs per side very very commonly will need another washer to engage the threads properly. Without this extra washer you are simply torquing down the nut on teh shoulder and NOT the head. So your torque wrench will, click, buzz, etc at teh set torque but you arent pulling the head tight.
ARP doesnt seem to care about this problem and there has been countless blown headgaskets from this.

The 2 per side midlength studs should be looked at...if in doubt add a washer they are cheap enough...and definetly cheaper than new engine build from the bearings getting killed from milkshaked oil.
Theres a thread about it.

Before winter im planning on doing a detailed write up on this with pics on my spare engine.

Like Turbo Nasty Pants is referring, there was a local guy here that kept "shooting" water out of his coolant overflow. After many days of investigation and countless changing of everything involved, he found the head studs length issue. Talk about being pissed and thankful at the same time.

Im pretty sure the studs are not an issue in my case but I am going to double washer them just in case.

so check out my bad luck...
One of My heads actually had a crack inbetween the valve springs so I took a set of 30,000 mile virgin ones to redo and put my big valves in...get them back and installed,torqued and retorqued and found out my rockers wont fit as the pedastals have to be machined like my old heads!!! damn this sucks..another set of gaskets down the drain.
what is weird is i could only get 58-64 ft lbs when I loosened the nuts????? maybe because the moly wasnt burned off yet???
Anyone ever pulled heads without running them and see a lesser torque then what you torqued them to???

Back