re-use rings

Steve V

Steve V's Automotive 757 560 2782
I am talking to a guy that reused his pistons rings:eek: They had about 9k on them and he say he returned them to the same cylinder they came from. Now he has an oil out the breathers issue at boost:biggrin: go figure. He said the machine shop lightly honed the block and said yeah no problem. I told him to find another shop. What do you guys think?

I am talking to a guy that reused his pistons rings:eek: They had about 9k on them and he say he returned them to the same cylinder they came from. Now he has an oil out the breathers issue at boost:biggrin: go figure. He said the machine shop lightly honed the block and said yeah no problem. I told him to find another shop. What do you guys think?

I have re-used rings before. 9k on a set of rings isn't a lot of miles. I wouldn't have honed the block though if I didn't have any problems with crankcase pressure with them.

Just took in my spare shortblock to a very good engine builder. These are JE pistons with Total Seal file fit rings & have about 2000 miles total. He said they were in great shape & could be used again but I prefer a new set. He has reused low mile rings before without problems but only if they are in Great shape & go back where they came from. I wouldnt hone it either altho in my case I still see the cross hatches. For me, saving a couple hundred isnt the way to go but it is an option under the right circumstances. Guess thats sorta a vague answer, but it has been done before with success. The builder is the one who has to warranty his work. In my case he wasnt at all concerned. Still, I like new shiny parts! :)

Why not????

If you have a fresh eng. (little miles) and you remove the pistons and then put them back in the same hole (without damaging the rings) You're right back when you were. Why buy new rings?