You can type here any text you want

realistic expectations for the new setup

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
why would u list 160lb injectors with all the other go fast parts? injectors don't make u go any faster then a TB does.....:rolleyes:

And that frustration has lead many people to leave the public message board. Good luck with your big throttle body.

I didn't start a thread of "how fast will my car go?" and list a white paint job.
Injector size could be a limitation in a combo or the owner's goals.
I'm out. You guys continue on with your conversations. I really wish the best for the OP.

I didn't start a thread of "how fast will my car go?" and list a white paint job.
Injector size could be a limitation in a combo or the owner's goals.
I'm out. You guys continue on with your conversations. I really wish the best for the OP.

Ok just for the sake of being civil, any and all relevant questions are both welcome and appreciated. If I responded in a snarky manner, it was just a bad joke. I really want everyones advice and opinions and the last thing I want is to alienate anyone or make anyone feel that I don't appreciate their feedback and respect their experience with these cars. If you don't mind, could you please explain your reasoning for asking about the throttle body? I am new to these cars and if you know something that I do not, Id be happy to hear about it.

Imo At the level your looking at the tb/plenum is relevant, if we were discussing a 10sec car id say no need for more then a stock one, but at mid 9's+ I think theirs gotta be some advantage , probably more so in the plenum volume and distribution of air.
at the very least it matches up to the ic pipe better.:D

Imo At the level your looking at the tb/plenum is relevant, if we were discussing a 10sec car id say no need for more then a stock one, but at mid 9's+ I think theirs gotta be some advantage , probably more so in the plenum volume and distribution of air.
at the very least it matches up to the ic pipe better.:D

The gentleman above me brought up my 70mm throttlebody as if it were the wrong choice. I did a fair amount of reading on the topic last night, and found that people have had decent success with the factory 62mm into the mid 11s, and ported, have gone into the 10s.

I then saw that the throttlebody I currenly have is what a lot of people are using with quicker cars, so I was just very curious why he asked my reasoning for listing my throttlebody in my list of "go fast" parts.

There is no gain, but nothing I would nail him to the wall over. Atleast it will be on a 9 sec car, not a 12 sec car loke I have seen in the past.

What do you have for your valvetrane setup? I would think you'll probably need a pretty stout setup with double springs, maybe a billet cam, 885 or solid lifters and thick wall pushrods?

What do you have for your valvetrane setup? I would think you'll probably need a pretty stout setup with double springs, maybe a billet cam, 885 or solid lifters and thick wall pushrods?

The heads are being set up by Tim at TA Performance. I told him my goals, and he chose the springs. I've been told a billet cam is a waste of money and the price gap between one and a ductile cam is too much to necessitate its use, so although my block is currently drilled for a billet cam, I'm just sticking with cast. The Comp roller lifters I had in my mid 10 sec. motor are still good (I only put 450 street driven miles on that motor before tear down), and as you know pushrods are the last thing to be purchased so I have yet to buy them until I get the correct specs.

If you are running an aggressive lobe cam, you need a stiff spring and I would run travel limited lifters. I would get the spring specs, i dont trust anyone with head set up, i do it myself. Most of these cars dont have enough springs. Do you have the cam card? That is a lot of duration, I dont think you are going to be happy with it. Overlap might be too much to work well with the 3 bolt turbo too. That is way more duration than I have in my 8 sec car.

Aa
If you are running an aggressive lobe cam, you need a stiff spring and I would run travel limited lifters. I would get the spring specs, i dont trust anyone with head set up, i do it myself. Most of these cars dont have enough springs. Do you have the cam card? That is a lot of duration, I dont think you are going to be happy with it. Overlap might be too much to work well with the 3 bolt turbo too. That is way more duration than I have in my 8 sec car.

Almost everything in this motor has been picked out by Kenny Duttweiler, who is building the motor. Im not sure I'm qualified enough to call his experience into question. I think it's fair to assume that he has used this grind before with some degree of success. Mike Licht is sourcing my cam from Comp, and when I expressed similar concerns to what you brought up, he didn't seem to think anything was out of the ordinary.

With a .600 lift at the valve, I'd expect some pretty high spring pressures, probably close to 200lb on the seat and over 500 over the nose. Is that in the neighborhood?

With a .600 lift at the valve, I'd expect some pretty high spring pressures, probably close to 200lb on the seat and over 500 over the nose. Is that in the neighborhood?

Here is the build sheet on the heads.

TA 1160 springs? In their catalog it shows 160lb at 1.90" and 360lb at 1.40"

Well, see what some of the other guys say.....
on mine I run 144lb on the seat and 440lb over the nose on a .530" lift. This has been good for 62-6300RPM or so on a mild lobe profile. Your valves are bigger and probably heavier than mine.

If I were to run a more aggressive cam and stronger springs I'd be looking at the short travel lifters or solid lifters and maybe a billet core cam. When the spring pressures get really high, the cast cam might have wear problems (I don't have any experience with that so I'd have to ask).

I should mention when my setup was 130 on the seat and 350 over the nose, it was valve float city!

Well, see what some of the other guys say.....
on mine I run 144lb on the seat and 440lb over the nose on a .530" lift. This has been good for 62-6300RPM or so on a mild lobe profile. Your valves are bigger and probably heavier than mine.

If I were to run a more aggressive cam and stronger springs I'd be looking at the short travel lifters or solid lifters and maybe a billet core cam. When the spring pressures get really high, the cast cam might have wear problems (I don't have any experience with that so I'd have to ask).

Again, I hate to defer to this answer, bit Mr. Duttweiler is insists that a billet roller isn't needed. I'll ask about the lifters, however, as I was just planning to use my Comp rollers over again.

Back