You can type here any text you want

Really Dumb Move with Intrepid Fans

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Charles Young

C Young
I've done plenty of dumb things and this one is high on the list. Installed my new Intrepid fans with Caspers wiring. Went out for a brief ride down the road to warm the car and kick the fans on. I was only gone a couple of minutes, not exactly sure how long fans were on but when I pulled in the drive and popped the hood; one fan was running but the other was jammed, not spinning and smoking from the motor/fan hub. Burning plastic smell, yikes!I won't admit how I managed to make that happen but let's just say it was an installation error!!
Anyway, I assumed the fan was ruined. I shut the car off immediately, fixed the install issue and started the car back up. In a minute or so the fans came back on and both are running and look OK. So, if the motor was running but the fan was not turning,, what exactly was going on? Is there a clutch in there that was hot/smoking but not completely burned up? Any ideas? Suggestions/tests I can do to see if it is really OK?
Thanks.

The smoking/burning smell was basically winding insulation burning inside the motor from locked rotor. It apparently wasn't enough to short the windings and fail the motor, but it prob took significant life off of the motor. I did the same thing with the blower motor..... so don't feel too bad .... lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. I wonder if you can buy just a motor if needed. I appreciate your letting me off the hook a little but believe me I'm still feeling pretty stupid about how I managed to do this.

Once I dropped a screwdriver and jammed one. Luckily I noticed it quickly

It may have significantly shortened the life of the motor. Keep tabs on it.

Back