Rear anti-sway bar options

turbomark

What are my options for rear anti-sway bars?? Is there anything between the factory bar and the ATR beast? I would like to upgrade the rear bar to reduce the front end push, but I get the feeling from others that the ATR piece is overkill.

Thanks in advance.

I ordered a Metco one.... I have no idea what its going to be like, I just wanted something better than stock.

We use the METCO bar (1 3/8") on both our cars. It bolted in with a bit of effort but required no grinding or hammering and it really helped tighten up the car. The METCO bar includes stainless 3/8" attaching hardware but some guys recommend using larger bolts. Keep an eye on the bolts - they may loosen up a bit after the first few miles of street driving.

I am not familiar with the Metco, but the ATR is definitely a drag race only piece OR for those who drive around with no front sway bar. It is 1 3/8" and comes with stainless hardware, which I would throw out. I had an ATR bar on my car for a week and sheared off one bolt.
I ended up back with the stock 7/8" rear sway bar.
Other options are Global West or Hotchkiss 1" bars.
As far as I know, Herb Adams no longers makes bars for G bodies. You might be able to get something from Hellwig or Suspension Techniques, but searching their sites gave very little info. If you are trying to upgrade the handling and not worried about drag strip performance, then try staying stock or trying a 1" rear bar.

Why would you not recommend using the ATR rear sway bar? I don't have one, yet, but am seriously thinking about it. My car will be a street driven one, but will also go to the track. What are the disadvantages of using this sway bar that people are referring too?

If you are into performance handling, the ATR bar WILL bind your rear suspension up. It will also distort your control arms if they are not boxed.

Originally posted by WANNAGOFAST
Why would you not recommend using the ATR rear sway bar? I don't have one, yet, but am seriously thinking about it. My car will be a street driven one, but will also go to the track. What are the disadvantages of using this sway bar that people are referring too?

Since Metco's Ron Kincaid used to work for ATR, I would guess the bars are very similar, if not the same.

Sway Bar-

Hotchkiss has a 1" bar, and I think Performance suspenson has one, may be cheaper than Hotchkiss. The ATR bar is SO much stiffer than stock, it would need really well reinforced lower control arms, and may make the rear so stiff you get into oversteer.

Re: Sway Bar-

Originally posted by Ormand
Hotchkiss has a 1" bar, and I think Performance suspenson has one, may be cheaper than Hotchkiss. The ATR bar is SO much stiffer than stock, it would need really well reinforced lower control arms, and may make the rear so stiff you get into oversteer.
I believe all of the info you just stated was previously mentioned if you carefully read the thread.

Originally posted by WANNAGOFAST

I'm also interested in the ATR rear sway bar. I was also thinking in getting a set of boxed lowers. Will this sway bar affect handling on the street?

I never said you couldnt use it on the street. IMHO, its best left for the street/strip guys that run around with no front sway bar. Its ok with the front sway bar on there, but would not give you any beneficial improvement if hanging turns is your forte. It WILL make your car oversteer badly from the sway bar induced roll stiffness in the back.

Originally posted by GNVAIR
I am not familiar with the Metco, but the ATR is definitely a drag race only piece OR for those who drive around with no front sway bar. It is 1 3/8" and comes with stainless hardware, which I would throw out. I had an ATR bar on my car for a week and sheared off one bolt.
I ended up back with the stock 7/8" rear sway bar.
Other options are Global West or Hotchkiss 1" bars.
As far as I know, Herb Adams no longers makes bars for G bodies. You might be able to get something from Hellwig or Suspension Techniques, but searching their sites gave very little info. If you are trying to upgrade the handling and not worried about drag strip performance, then try staying stock or trying a 1" rear bar.

Ive heard that the ATR bar will only do this if you dont shave off the sides some to make fit easier.....those who use crowbars or sledgehammers to install it get this problem. According to Paul Ferry you are supposed to shave off some of the bar so that it just "taps" into place.

Anybody remember a thread about bolting in two stock rear swaybars in back? This was quite some time ago... before the "big crash!" I was wondering how one would go about doing this as there doesn't appear to be room! Anybody?

My ATR bar bolted right in with no mods. It was actually a nice fit. Not too tight, but not too loose either. I had boxed my control arms before I installed it. It just wasnt what I wanted, so I sold it on here. Some cars may vary with production tolerances.

You might want to look into the 1" bar by Hellwig. I got mine from Summit a few years ago.
A little over a hundred dollars and no problems with fit as the holes were slotted.

Chromed ATR bar...

I put on a big ATR bar That I had chromed!!:D looks nice!! Only thing, I think that this is where that "squeak" under the car is coming from. Don't know what to do though...:( Pics available, just let me know...'Bye, Claude.:)

Re: Chromed ATR bar...

Originally posted by toofastforyou
I put on a big ATR bar That I had chromed!!:D looks nice!! Only thing, I think that this is where that "squeak" under the car is coming from. Don't know what to do though...:( Pics available, just let me know...'Bye, Claude.:)

I would like to see some pics.

Jason

The Perfomance Suspension 1" bar is $119.95. Sorry if I'm repeating information, but I haven't seen Perfomance Suspension's bar above. Others are about 130-140, I think.

The Suspension Techniques bar won't work with boxed arms as it has a plate welded to the bar that goes INSIDE the control arms. You might be able to box around it or weld it all together as a unit, but if you have aftermarket arms you can forget about it.

Tom