You can type here any text you want

Rear Axle Lube Suggestions?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

HighMileage

Albany,NY
While I'm putting rear brakes on,maybe this is a good time for some rear end maint.

I checked the lube the other a day. It is full. From the looks of the hole in the plug,I'll bet it has never been out. I did notice some chattering when turning from a stop. 80,000mi.

Some discount lubes say they are ok for limited-slip. But my guess is I had better ask here first.

Thanks.

Steve from Upstate NY. '87 GN.

Drain and put in straight dino Valvoline and a bottle of limited slip additive all thats needed.

Thanks again,Turbo Nasty,for the advice.

Hopefully I can get a gasket. I really don't want to use glop.

Steve from Upstate NY. '87 GN,t-tops. Mostly stock.

Auto zone or ADvance has always had the gasket on the shelf around here good luck

Steve:
I just serviced the differential of my GN last week. O'Reilly Auto Parts has the differential gasket you need- Felpro RDS 55028-1. The gasket costs about $4.29. While there, get yourself 3 bottles of Valvoline High Performance 75w90 diff lube, about $5.69 per bottle. If you use the GM additive, you will only need a little bit from the third bottle. I got the GM additive from my local dealer for $9.41.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

There are alot of different products I could have used. So I figured I'd ask experience.

I got the Valvoline dinosaur 80w-90,and a tube of the additive.
Advance had the correct FelPro gasket.

To fill,I put a 1ft piece of clear hose over the end of the bottles.

I'm out and about tonite. ...and guess what. No more chatter in a left turn from a stop.

Thanks again. Now onto the next project.

Steve from Upstate NY. '87 GN. Haven't even had it a month.

i used mobil 1 synthetic, it say's no need for posi lube.
good luck with you new toy steve! :biggrin:

Back