You can type here any text you want

Rear brake question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbosam6

My cars suck
I just put new soft shoes on the rear of the GN, the ones from Kirbans that have the large shoe on both sides. Anyway, I adjusted them all the way in, and the passenger side is fine, but the drivers side still has a little drag and its tightened all the way. The drums are in excellent condition, so I didn't turn them. I put the wheels back on and with the car in neutral on the jack stands I can manually turn the wheels pretty easy, and they turn about 1/4 turn when I let go. Is this going to be OK? I haven't driven it yet, gotta finish some other stuff.

You should have them adjusted so there is a little drag on them...with a little drag, when you drive the car it will surface and shape the pads to the drum. If the one wheel has NO drag, I'd put just a little on it (try to match them).

Right now, It sounds like yo have one wheel that is fine and one to loose...
I'd be a little more concerned as to why you have to turn the adjuster ALL the way in. Are the shoes really thick or some thing?

I don't know if they are really thick, they don't look much thicker than the old ones. I'm 99% sure they are in correctly. These are supposed to automatically adjust, aren't they? I figure they will "wear in", just don't wanna fry 'em from too much friction. These are the longer ones, so all 4 are the same size.

Back