You can type here any text you want

rear channels blown?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Evans Ward

Love those LC2/ Y56 cars!
I have the AC-Delco stock, factory top- of -the line AM-FM cass with the 5 band EQ on my car. Running 6X9 Polk 3 ways with Polk 3.5" dash units. Audio was sounding fine until yesterday when the rears starting distorting especially with the lows. I don't play my system all that loud anymore and wondered what may have caused this? Checked speaker connectors at rear speaks which are intact. Could I have blown rear channels in the head unit? Anyway to test? I can't beleive I could have blown the rear speakers at normal volume but will try the orig 4X10s that were replaced as another troubleshooting method. If blown channels at head unit, I may be in need of another unit either like the one I have or a 1.5 CD unit. Anyone??

Originally posted by Evans Ward
Audio was sounding fine until yesterday when the rears starting distorting especially with the lows.

Distortion could be generated from improperly set tone controls i.e.......too much bass causes distortion causes "bottoming" of driver so to speak. Check this first before trouble shooting the speakers.

I would say it's the speakers or settings. From what I remember, the head unit only has two true audio amplifier channels and then a fader for front to back adjustments.

and the rear CS2 4x10's are 10ohm...if you replaced them with a 4ohm 6x9..and a 4 ohm dash speaker...the load on the delco is a tad bit more than it would like to see!...i hope this helps joe

Well, it was the speakers as I took them out and put in the OEM 4X10s back in. No heavy distortion with the stock speaks as with the dx9 Polks. I took them back to Circuit City where I purchased them since I was imformed that they had a 1 yr manufacturers warranty. The store clerks in audio told me the problem was lack of power in powering them as I have the stock head unit and not using any supplemental amplification. I exchanged them for store credit and bought the EX series Polk 6X9s as they are said to sound well with low powered units. Hopefully in a few days, I can do the install. Now about those cheesy Metra 4X10 to 6X9 adapters..........:mad:

Back