You can type here any text you want

Rear deck speakers

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

LS954

MH-60S Airframer, USN!!
I was wondering what speakers you have on your rear decks..I had someone install some 6x9 for a while back and didnt like the way they fit. He put them up with some wood screws and they were no where near flush, basically i was loosing alot of sound to the trunk rather than in the car.
I was looking at these adapters any idea if they might work
GM SAPs 4x10 to 6"x9" at Crutchfield.com

They are the same speaker adapters that I have in my GN, I have no problems with them.

I have Sony's in the rear deck, it's your preference tho what speaker to install.

reason i ask is cause on the description it says that its possible to install select 6x9 speakers. And not all 6x9's ahve the same dimension

I had Memphis 4x10's in my rear dash. Tried mounting their 6x9's in the back of my MC and had clearing issues with the tension bars. I just pulled the Mem 4x10's in favor of some 6.5's. I'm using the stock speaker locations as ports so bass from my trunk can enter the cabin.

I just exchanged the existing Infinity 6x9's that were already in the car with Pioneer Premier D902 6x9's, so i had to work with an already cut-up deck. They did a shoddy job cutting up the deck i/m/o, but i've never had to cut a deck before myself. I did have to trim a little metal to fit the Pioneers in.

Existing install:

Attachments

• Rear Deck pics 016.jpg
    Rear Deck pics 016.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 210
  • Rear Deck pics 026.jpg
    Rear Deck pics 026.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 218
  • Rear Deck pics 030.jpg
    Rear Deck pics 030.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 211
  • Rear Deck pics 033.jpg
    Rear Deck pics 033.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 226
  • Rear Deck pics 035.jpg
    Rear Deck pics 035.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 216
New install:

Attachments

• Rear Deck pics 050.jpg
    Rear Deck pics 050.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 205
  • Rear Deck pics 052.jpg
    Rear Deck pics 052.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 216
  • Rear Deck pics 053.jpg
    Rear Deck pics 053.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 215
The seat-back insulation is cut out for the Bazooka tubes that were in the car when my dad bought it i imagine.
Any suggestions from the experts on making my rear deck better would be appreciated.
A little project i also took on with the deck is the package tray, i thought the slits were way to small for the sound to go through, i figured most of the sound is getting soaked up into the tray. So this is what i did, hope it wasnt a waste of my time:

Attachments

• Rear Deck pics 037.jpg
    Rear Deck pics 037.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 212
  • Rear Deck pics 041.jpg
    Rear Deck pics 041.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 209
  • Rear Deck pics 043.jpg
    Rear Deck pics 043.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 211
  • Rear Deck pics 056.jpg
    Rear Deck pics 056.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 206
I have Boston Acoustics in mine with teh adapters and the x bace kit that I have rests against the them but pulls up and sounds fine.

I ahve wondered the same about teh slits in the cardboard backing my self. Man thats a pretty bad hack job on the rear daeck metal ther..jeez

I have the adapters with 6x9 Infinity Reference speakers that work quite well.
Mine are backed way down to just add some backfill to the sound after reading many comments on this subject by some of the pros that frequent this site. I put more emphasis on the front half of the car as recommended and it sounds quite good for an amateur, not too expensive install. HTH
MLH

Back